Chapter 2

It's not that Percy didn't love Annabeth or that he didn't want to see her, he just didn't want her here. Somewhere in Percy though, he was glad. Glad that his girlfriend was here. But he didn't want her to get hurt. She needed to leave. Her blonde princess curls were in her usual battlefield high ponytail, tied with a gray scrunchie that had dots of crimson on it. Her face was a mixture of scratching and bruising, and Percy noticed her black eye. Even then, she looked beautiful. Her loose Camp Half-Blood tee was torn down the center, revealing part of her dirty white sports bra. Her black leggings were in shambles split open by the cuts that covered her legs. She had a huge scratch going down her right arm, and it looked like it was from a hellhound. Yeah, Percy was definitely going to have a talk with Ms. O'Leary later. If he survived this. "Percy!" Annabeth ran over to him and put her hand under his head. "Hey, Perce. It's me, it's Annabeth. It's Wise Girl." She slowly shifted his body away from the cliff, and Percy audibly winced in pain. "You survived Tartarus you aren't going to die from a giant, okay?" She stopped moving him when they were a good distance away from the edge. "Just, just stay with me- okay? Will is coming, help is on the way." Her voice was breaking, like she was about to cry. Percys vision clouded more and more, and he wondered how loud he would have had to scream for Annabeth and Will to both be coming. "Just stay awake."

Percy tried, and he did. He managed to stay alive for the next few minutes or so. Annabeth fought of any monster than came near them, and Percy wanted to help. But he could barely stay awake. By the time that Will arrived, his vision was mostly blackness. "Perce, Percy can you hear me?" Will asked, putting two cold fingers on Percy's wrist. Percy thinks he nodded, or at least he tried to. He felt Wills strong hands prop him against what Percy could only assume was a tree. That hurt, badly. Percy might've screamed. "Sorry." Will muttered. "Percy, what happened?" Percy thought that was kind of a stupid question. I mean, he had been barely able to nod his head to answer if his ears were working.

"He hasn't been talking. I don't think he can." Annabeth replied for Percy, while nervously biting her nail. Percy didn't assume that it took an Athena kid to figure that out. 

"He needs help. We have to get him off of the battlefield."

No, Percy wanted to say. Gaea was still alive. Percy didn't want to sound narcissistic, but he had a feeling that he would be needed to defeat her. They didn't have time to drag this battle out, it was now or never. Percy couldn't let anyone else get hurt. Especially not Annabeth. 

"O-Okay."

ANNABETH! Percy tried to scream, but he couldn't even move his goddamn mouth. Annabeth knew that they needed him to win the battle, she had to know. She was beyond smart enough to know. 

"Help me get him up." Will grabbed one of Percy's arms, and his vision began to spot again. It was getting to be too much. He needed to stay, he needed to fight Gaea. He needed to make sure that if anyone else died, it would be him. Annabeth grabbed his other arm, and Percy just couldn't handle it. He wanted to, he needed to stay here. But his body forbade him. He quickly drifted off into the sweet abyss of unconsciousness, maybe death.

----------

So, turns out Percy wasn't dead.

When he woke up, he was in a not very comfortable bed. His eyes shot open to reveal a ceiling, what a shock there. He attempted to get up, and immediately regretted the action. His vision began to spot with black again, and his arms shook unsteadily, causing Percy to almost immediately collapse under the weight of his upper half. Percy fell down off the bed with a grunt. A child of Apollo that was working in the... wherever Percy was came over to see what had happened. "Hey, what makes you think that you're ready to walk?" The voice of a young boy scolded. He jogged over to Percy and helped him to sit back down on his bed. "Here, take these." He handed Percy a few pills and Percy downed them with no water. Annabeth always made fun of him for that, and the thought of her immediately made him worry. Where is she? Is she okay? Is she alive?

"Where's... where's Annabeth?" Percy asked groggily. His head was spinning, and he was as shocked as the boy with his own voice.

"Oh, okay so you can talk now. That's... that's good! I'm going to go get Will, I'll be right back. Don't fall asleep or move!" And with that, the kid ran away and Percys unanswered question dangled in the air.

A few minutes later Will Solace strolled in, a fake smile was displayed on his face. Percy doubted that he would've known that the smile was fraud if he hadn't been through so much with the healer. Nico DiAngelo walked by his side, and he looked really beat up. He stayed silent, while Will forced a cheerful tone to his voice. "Percy! It's so good to see you awake. How do you feel?"

"Lightheaded- but I'm fine. Where's Annabeth? Is she okay?"

Wills face turned as depressed as Nico's. "She's- I'm so sorry, Percy. She's gone. She died." Nico spoke, his eyes never meeting Percy's.

The news took a minute to register in his head, but when it did, it hit Percy like a fucking freight train. Annabeth... she couldn't be dead. They had planned out their whole lives together. They were going to go to college together, get engaged. Get married, have kids. Grow old together, remind each other of their times as young demigods so they wouldn't forget. They would never stop visiting camp and help to teach the new campers. Annabeth was going to be an architect and build the most wonderful of buildings. She had shown Percy her plans to build their house that they would live in, and Percy was excited. She couldn't just be... gone. Percy blinked back tears, he was a chosen demigod, and he couldn't afford to be weak in front of Nico and Will. "How... how did she..." He couldn't even finish the sentence, but Nico seemed to understand.

"Fighting Gaea. She's the reason we won."

Percy just nodded and took a deep breath. There was no way, just no way, but she was gone. Nico and Will would never lie to him. Percy couldn't think about this right now, his head already hurt way too much. "Where am I?" He asked, desperately needing to change the subject.

"Back at camp, you've been in a coma for nine and a half days." Will answered this time, delivering the medical news was more of his forte. Death news was more of Nico's. But nine days? That was... insane. Beyond insane. It must have come as a shock to anyone that he would wake up. But like, come on. He's Percy freaking Jackson. Percy kept his expression as unfazed as possible as he comprehended the thoughts.

"Okay... okay help me up." Percy needed to leave, he needed to get back home. He put both his feet on the ground and used the edge of his so-called bed to get up. Percy got overwhelmed with nausea and almost doubled over. 

Will grabbed his arm before he could fall over and tried to force him to sit back down. Percy didn't even put up a fight, he wanted to, but his body refused. "You're not strong enough yet, Perce. You need some time to heal."

"No, no, no, no! I-I can't just lay down, and-and just stay here! I need to get home-I need to get back to the city-"

"-Percy!" A new, but familiar voice yelled.

Percy looked up and saw who it was. He hadn't seen him in years, and he didn't really want to right now. Percy was just so, so weak right now. He didn't want him to see Percy this way.

Yet here Loki was.