Chapter 12: New Broomstick

Start from the beginning

"Not the bacon! Oh the humanity, won't someone think of the bacon!" I cried out as a joke.

The first owls had hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of the parcel.

Harry ripped open the letter first, before he handed it to me and Ron, having difficulty hiding his glee.

I quickly read the letter over Ron's shoulder:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.
It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor McGonagall

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one."

"Come on Harry open it now!" I told him ignoring the letter, as it would take an idiot not to know that there was a broom wrapped in the clearly broom shaped package.

"Not here, we'll do it in the hall." Harry suggested, as he grabbed the broom, and we left the hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomstick in private before our first class, or Harry and Ron did I was quite happy sowing everyone up and opening it in public, but halfway across the entrance hall we found the way upstairs barred by Crabbe and Goyle as Malfoy swaggered over and seized the package from Harry feeling it.

"That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face.

"Good job genius, I couldn't tell from the shape of it." I sneered at Malfoy who just glared at me.

"You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

Ron couldn't resist it. "It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at us. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Before Ron or I could answer, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?" he squeaked.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly, grinning at us with twisted enjoyment.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"

"A Nimbus Two Thousand, sir," said Harry, and I had to fight hard not to laugh at the look of horror on Malfoy's face. "And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it," he added.

Harry Ron and I headed upstairs, smothering our laughter at Malfoy's obvious rage and confusion.

"Well, it's true," Harry chortled as we reached the top of the marble staircase, "If he hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouldn't be on the team..."

"So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" came an angry voice from just behind us. Hermione was stomping up the stairs, looking disapprovingly at the package in Harry's hand.

"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" said Harry.

"Yes, don't stop now," said Ron, "it's doing us so much good." Hermione marched away with her nose in the air.

The rest of the day when by quickly, most of the lessons being boring. We bolted our dinner that evening and then rushed upstairs to unwrap the Nimbus Two Thousand at last.