Chapter One: The Trials

Annalise

Annalise had never wanted to be a murderer. But as she gazed at the demon in front of her, foam frothing from his stony mouth, she thought she just might have to be. Her heart pounded an unsteady rhythm in her throat, as her hands began to feel clammy.

It was the final demon trial. Wrath, it was called. The main objective was to inflict as much pain onto your opponent as possible and to eventually stop them from getting up again. Fortunately, there was only one match per person. Annalise would've rather there had been none to begin with, but that was another thing entirely.

She had pushed through the other six trials, Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Greed, Sloth and Pride. Each of them had brought about their own unique challenges. Annalise had towered through them all, but it felt like she had to forsake something. Her humanity. She couldn't lament on it for much longer though, as the rhinercours looking demon began to charge her. Quickly she shifted out of his direction. Rubble and dust bursting up and the ferocity of his charge.

This demon was massive, a stone like creature, built like a brick house, with sharp edges and dark grey eyes. He was huge, and it was obvious that Annalise was no match for him in strength. The one charge alone had disrupted the dirt of the arena, so it lead a trail where he'd ran.

Biting her lip, Annalise edged backwards, legs braced to make another quick dodge. The demon looked at her, chest heaving in anger. "Stop trying, human." He hissed, his voice like stones grating together. "You're not meant to be here. You're not even a real demon." He continued to taunt.

Annalise took two quick moments to survey the arena they were in. It contained a variety of different sceneries. A forest in the left corner, a large lake in the right, and a desert like barren earth where they were standing. She would have to use it all to her advantage if she wanted to win. The rhinoceros charged at her again, and Annalise jumped to the left, narrowly avoiding a death-killing kick.

The half demon ran. Ran like the bats of hell where kicking at her feet, she'd have to get this demon exactly where she'd want him. And that was at the lake. If she could corner him, using both her cursed fire and telekinesis, she could get him into the lake and with his exceptional stone heavy weight, he would struggle to get back up again. The hard part was getting him to it.

With a quick jog, she stood in front of the lake, waving her arms around tauntingly. "Come get me then brick-head!" She shouted, dark red lips scowling. Smoke began to steam from the demon's mouth, he lent his head downwards, the one large horn on his forehead pointing directly at her as he charged. Each footstep resounded like thunder in her ears, shaking the ground beneath her. 

With heavy breaths, she moved to the side, just moments before he was in front of her. His momentum carried him forward, stumbling towards the lake. Exactly where she wanted him to be. Her hands began to quiver, and she gulped. This could be it. If she could corner him, like she planned. Then, then she could win.

Slowly, just as the demon began to charge her again, she rose her arms feeling the tell tell tingle of her powers curling around her arms like snakes. This was her fathers legacy. This was her cursed fire. With a violent gesture, she allowed the power to lash out around them, causing sinister black flames to burst free from the ground. They appeared on either side of the two, caging them in. The only way out was through the lake. Both of them were cornered.

It had taken her months and months to get her powers this far, she hadn't even realised she'd had this kind of power before her Auntie had shown her. Through rigorous daily, harsh training Annalise had managed to tame the beast inside of her. A power so rugged and untamed it had scared her at first. Now she had come to know them, and understand them.

Telekinesis and a form of pyrokinesis. It could be her own legacy.

Rolling back her shoulders, Annalise allowed the more familiar telekinesis, the same she'd had as a ghost, to rise through her chest. The Rhinoceros demon howled ferociously, yellowed sharp teeth dripping with drool. Her heart stuttered, as he began to move forward.

Feeling the warmth of her flames caressing her back, she outstretched her hands towards the stone demon. Just moments before he was about to collide with her, he stopped. He was exerting as much effort as he could, perspiration coating his face as he huffed against an invisible wall.

Annalise began to sweat as well, her face flushing under the amount of telekinesis she was using to keep him in place. Agonisingly she took a couple steps forward towards him, her powers pulsing in her veins like blood, as she forced him backwards a couple more steps. And then a few more, and a few more. Until both of them were on the precipice of the lake.

The goal of this trial was to inflict as much pain onto your opponent as possible. Without killing them permanently. As demons could regenerate from everything except decapitation. And that was exactly what she was about to do.

With another deep breath, blinking the sweat away that had dropped down onto her eyes. Her chest heaving heavily. She didn't need to say any words, as she forced the other demon into the lake. Water splashing against her plain black top, and linen trousers. She didn't need to say anything, as she forced the demon underneath the water even further.

His limbs splashing violently in a struggle to keep himself above the murky lake.

Annalise said nothing, as the splashing came to a halting stop. Her mouth didn't move as the crowd surrounding the arena erupted in cheers, so loud she could barely hear herself think. Her name was being bellowed out by the commentator. She stood there frozen, unaware that even her cursed flames behind her had died down.

She couldn't take any of it in, transfixed by the stilling water.

"Annalise! The Half Demon has passed the final trial of hell!"

Eventually, amongst the roaring screams, her two friends had rushed out of the crowds and towards her. Bael and Eiseth ran towards Annalise, each one taking a different arm and hauling her off of the arena. Limp like a porcelain doll, she trailed after them. Yet, Annalise still didn't speak. Her hazel eyes transfixed on that one lake. Two organisers of the event were currently hauling out the lifeless body of her opponent.

What would Eugene think of her now. 

Authors Note: 

Sooo, what do we think? Finally its out, i hope you enjoy this sequel. I've worked incredibly hard on the planning. Expect more spiciness, more romance and drama ;) I hope you liked this chapter!! 

Lots of love, 

Sam.E