Glowing Starlight

Start from the beginning

There was also the fact that Kaeya was Cryoconite.

Even during babysitting Klee, Albedo couldn't turn his thoughts away from Kaeya. The doorbell rang early in the morning and Albedo races to get it, thinking that it was Kaeya. It was actually the mailman.

Albedo was watching Klee color when Kaeya walks inside, his eyes snapping to Albedo's and hardening. Klee ran up to Kaeya, arms outstretched, and Albedo watches as he picks her up and swings her around. Well, it was nice to know that he wasn't completely cold-hearted.

"Sleep well last night, Albedo?" Kaeya asks, setting Klee down and shrugging off his coat.

"About as well as you did, I'll imagine." Albedo retorts, turning back to the coloring table. He set his hands on his lap and pressed them there, pretending that they weren't burning to hide his face.

"Clever. How is my Klee doing?" Kaeya askes, turning towards the little girl.

As Kaeya chats, Albedo pinches his fingers together. The sound of Kaeya's ringing laughter and Klee's giggles fills the room. He rarely hears Kaeya laugh like that.

"I need to talk to you. Klee, stay where you are." Albedo stands up and grabs Kaeya's wrist, pulling him into a cramped closet.

The moment the door swung shut, Albedo realizes he's pressed up against Kaeya's chest, hands dangling awkwardly at his side, and his breath on Kaeya's collarbone. Golden heat radiates outwards from Kaeya, making his face warm. He really had not thought this through.

"You know, if you wanted to be so close to me, you could have just asked." Kaeya teases as Albedo pushes him against the closet door.

"Stop it." Albedo lowers his head, taking deep breaths. "Remember our promise?"

"How could I not? Don't expose the other's identity in front of Klee, keep Klee and Jean safe, blah blah blah." Kaeya waves a hand.

"So why did you agree to babysit Klee at the same time that I was going to?"

"Jean didn't really give me much of a choice," Kaeya insists. "She thinks we're secretly dating."

Albedo draws back. How could that be possible?

"I think it's because she always sees us asking about last night, or last week. We're referencing all the times you tried to stab me in the gut, and she thinks we're referencing all the passionate nights we spent together." Kaeya smirks, tilting his head.

Albedo groans. This whole business was so complicated. He misses the time when he didn't know who Cryoconite was, and thought of Kaeya as just another babysitter. It was truly, only out of concern for Klee and Jean that he hadn't leaked Kaeya's identity to the press yet.

"We'll just go through with what Jean wants. It won't be a problem," Albedo says, more to himself than Kaeya. It was a quiet reassurance that his life was, in fact, not irrevocably fucked up.

"As you wish, Calx,"

Albedo shushes him and opens the closet door, poking his head outside. Just as Albedo had deemed it safe and Kaeya exited behind him, the door swings open and Jean's face appears, looking happy.

"Archons!" She cries. Her eyes immediately shoot to where Kaeya was grasping Albedo's arm. Albedo pretended he hadn't been acutely aware of the soft brush for the past 5 minutes. "It seems like you two are getting along quite well, then."

"Oh, yes. Albedo here is nearly smitten with me, although he would never admit it." Kaeya says as he left the closet room. Jean's eyes were hyperfixated on how close Kaeya was to Albedo, and his heart beat faster as Kaeya brushes up behind him.