Chapter 26 : Picture

Start from the beginning

She lay still, not moving an inch. Calming my beating heart, I shifted closer needing to poke her with a stick -- just to be sure. The other manticores took a step back, either scared or still willing to obey their mistress. It was deadly silent until I heard a crash from the broken door to my side.

Dimitri.

Claws grabbed my nape and a heavy weight pressed me against the wall. I could barely breathe as I tried to push against it. My cheeks scraped against the rough surface.

"Sshh," Wyatt's mom -- Mr. Fisslebadger -- purred beside my head. "You wanna find Pedro so bad. I'll take you to him."

In less than a second, I found myself in a different section of the house. Mr. Fisslebadger tossed me against a bed and I felt something wrinkle beneath my weight. With furrowed eyebrows, I rose to my elbows and glanced at the sheets.

Pictures. Lots of them.

I picked one and felt my heart cave in. Pedro lay comatose on a damp tuft of grass just like he did in my dream. It was the exact place by the water well. And just like before, I felt something off about it.

'He's tied to it,' Wyatt had said. 'He won't be going anywhere. At least, not in a few days.'

I didn't know what that meant, but it definitely wasn't good. Pedro's tan skin glowed under the moonlight and they were covered in dark bruises. I gritted my teeth feeling a wave of fresh anger. I grabbed another picture. It was the same place but at a different angle. This time the water well was closer. I took in every detail, memorizing it meticulously.

A location I could find just by teleporting. And that can only be possible if I had seen it with my own eyes. Unlike the pictures before me, the dream was quite blurry.

Clearing my throat, I glanced at the manticore. "Are you trying to piss me off? Because I think it's working."

Mrs. Fisslebadger crossed her hairy arms. "It should. Hope you got a good look at the pictures because I have a message from Henry. If you want to reverse your crocotta transformation, you'll have to hand yourself over. Once you've successfully surrendered, he'll free Pedro."

"And you expect me to believe that?" If I was handing myself over, I'll have to meet Gwen in secret.

Mr. Fisslebadger remained silent as I picked a folded piece of paper amidst the splayed pictures. I wavered before opening it. Eight words in bold letters greeted me.

Hello, Love.
I look forward to our encounter.

I froze. Only one person calls me by that stupid nickname; Chase the stalker.

"You two haven't talked, have you?" Mr. Fisslebadger cocked her head, showing genuine curiosity.

I fisted the note and dumped it at my feet. "Is he Henry's new boss?"

She smiled. "You can ask him that when you meet him. All in due time. Or if you're that curious, I can take you there. He'll probably give Wyatt and me one huge reward."

With an animalistic speed, she crossed the distance and grabbed my hair, tugging it back. "After all, You belong with him."

I clenched my teeth and shoved her hand away. "I belong with no one. I have every right to choose my beloved -- not you or your creepy stalker of a boss."

She gave a disturbing smile. "Whoever you pick, I hope it's not that Sin. Because that'll be a betrayal of the century."

I clenched my fists, wanting to sucker-face punch her. But that was short-lived. The manticore glanced over my shoulder and tensed. Her eyes went wide with fear. The hairs on my nape stood on end as I felt another presence behind me. I hesitantly looked over my shoulder.

Shrouded in darkness Braidguy squatted on a window ledge. His predatory eyes were set on the manticore.

There was an ear-shattering scream and I winced, turning to the source. Blood spilled from Mrs. Fisslebadger's eyes and ears as her feline body caved in like crumpled paper. Her limbs twisted in multiple places, almost like there were being crushed by an invisible force.

Her screams grew louder as her body folded until there was nothing left but silence. Her bones and flesh lay mangled at my feet. I stepped away, feeling bile rise up my throat.

A wooden board creaked and I turned to find braidguy step into the room with his biker boots. His cat eyes were now trained on me. I flicked my fingers, trying to summon a portal but was met with disappointment.

Damn it! Where did Liam run off to?

I bolted towards the door, aiming for a quick escape when an invisible force swept my feet off the ground. I hit the floorboards with a grunt. As if that wasn't enough, I felt a pull on my lower half. And before I could comprehend what was happening, I was slowly dragged towards the sin.

An ability.

"No," I cried out. My nails scratched against the wood, trying to grab onto something. My fingers bled as the force on my lower half grew stronger. Unlike Liam's telekinesis, it felt as if I was being pulled by a huge python.

I was panicking. "Liam!"

Everything about Braidguy screamed danger. His hands were dipped in his biker jeans as he stood, patiently waiting. His bare chest -- which seemed to CONSTANTLY be on display -- reflected his porcelain skin. His braided hair had swept over a shoulder, nearly touching his hip.

On reaching his feet, he knelt on one knee and softly grabbed my chin. I stared at his upturned eyes. His crooked nose was surprisingly slender and I stared dumbly at his cupid's bow lip.

He tilted his head and spoke in a dangerously low tone. "Why do you call for Liam? There's no reason to be terrified but yet I see it in your eyes."

When I didn't say a word, he smirked displaying two pairs of fangs. The deep nonchalant voice didn't match his next words. "Your fear excites me."

Don't forget to vote, comment and share

Don't forget to vote, comment and share. Big hugs and kisses😘💜💜💜

Has anyone watched 'The bad guys?'

I recently watched it and was amazed at the plot and the characters. Especially the villain😅