Chapter 29: The Dazzling Niece

Start from the beginning

"And grab your homework," Shane instructed in a fatherly manner. "You can work on it while we make pancakes."

Shane followed you into the kitchen and Jas was shortly behind. You set to work fixing up pancakes for your boyfriend's niece as she struggled through her English work.

"Uncle Shane, what's an oxford comma?" She asked, harshly erasing something from her workbook.

You listened for Shane's reply, but it  mostly consisted of "um" and "uh." You walked over to the table and handed Shane the spatula.

"Go make the pancakes." You smiled. "The batter is finished, just pour in circles and flip them when the tops get bubbly." You took Shane's seat as he got up to make breakfast. "An Oxford comma is the comma in a list of words that comes before the 'and' and after the second to last item." Jas still seemed confused, so you pointed to the example in her book and read it out loud. "Tim bought a cantaloupe, dish soap, and a teddy bear." You pointed to the oxford comma. "See the comma that is after dish soap but before and? That's the oxford comma."

"Oh!" Jas smiled. "I get it."

You heard Shane go "hmph" sarcastically from the stove. You stood up and wrapped your arms around him from behind.

"What?" You teased. "Do you need to be doing the homework too?"

"No..." Shane lied jokingly. You looked down at the pancake Shane was scooping out of the skillet. It looked perfect as he set it on top of identical ones sitting on a plate.

"Wow." You gasped at his pancake perfection. "Good job babe."

"Good job babe." Jas mocked from the table. You both gasped a little and turned around to see her giggling so much that she almost fell out of her chair.

Shane shook his head and started laughing too. He turned off the stove and brought the pancakes over to the table as the three of you dug into the delicious breakfast.

The day went by fairly quickly after that. It was really nice to spend time getting to know Jas. It was obvious from the way they interacted that she was a crucial part of Shane's life, and vice versa. To end the day before Jas went to bed, the three of you were currently curled up underneath piles of blankets on the couch, watching a princess movie (Jas's choice) on the Ranch's ancient television.

Jas sat comfortably in between you and Shane, and you quickly realized she was starting to nod off. Eventually, the little girl fell asleep against you. You were running your fingers through her hair, which obviously must have been enough to lull her to sleep. You quietly, trying not to stir Jas, tapped Shane on the shoulder and pointed to his napping niece.

Shane stood up gently and picked her up in his arms, her body nearly limp as he pulled half of the blankets up with her. He nodded his head towards her room and started walking that way. You quickly turned off the television and followed him.

He gently tucked his niece under the comforters on her bed and sat at the foot, rubbing her back to make sure she stayed asleep. You went and sat next to him, gently resting your head against your boyfriend's shoulder.

"Alright, it's probably time for us to get to bed as well," Shane whispered, standing up and offering his hand to lead you out of the room. Once you got to his room, you both quickly threw on your pajamas and finished getting ready for sleep before climbing into the bed.

Shane wrapped his arms around you as he spooned you. You could tell he almost instantly fell asleep. Instead, you stayed up and thought about the nice day the three of you had spent together. You had always wanted to have children, but you hadn't considered settling down and starting on that for a long time still. You imagined it would be at least another decade before you started on a family. However, today had given you a glimpse of what it would be like to experience that, especially with Shane who seemed to have taken to the "father" role with surprising ease. 

Still, that was a lot to think about and not something to do at the moment. You eventually fell asleep, realizing that the possibility of a family of your own wasn't as far away as you had imagined it would be, which despite being somewhat scary, made you happier than you realized it would.

You woke up the next morning to find that Shane wasn't in the bed, you were merely alone in his room. You looked at the bedside clock which read the time as just after ten in the morning. Jeez. You hadn't slept in this late since your move to the Valley.

Deciding to go and find Shane, you got out of bed and threw your robe on over your pajamas before going to explore the house. Almost instantly, you heard voices coming in the direction of Jas's room. You quietly walked towards it and peeked open the door.

You couldn't help the laugh that burst out of your lips, causing Shane and Jas to quickly turn around. Obviously, Jas's idea, the pair were both dressed up as princesses with sparkly tiaras, poofy tutus, fairy wings, and a ton of glittery makeup.

"Doesn't he look beautiful!" Jas exclaimed, pointing to the messy color and sparkles applied liberally over Shane's face.

"Gorgeous. Stunning, even!" You agreed as Shane's face flushed a darker shade of red than you have ever seen. You walked into the room and kneeled by Shane. "You're the prettiest princess I've ever seen." You joked as you kissed your boyfriend, spreading glitter all over your face as well.

✏️ A/N: Hey everyone! I am so sorry that this upload is coming out so late! I couldn't get into my Wattpad account yesterday for some reason! Apologies, I know it's not fun to wait for an installment! Thank you so much to everyone who has read this far! Next week will debut Chapter 30 (30!): Strolling At Sunset, on May 30, 2022. I hope you have enjoyed and I cannot thank you all enough for your continued support! xoxo Kira