Gone

"-I slept great-"
"-normally it takes a while for me to sleep-"
"-I can't believe I didn't do my potions-"

John silently snorted as he recalled the morning after he returned.

His mass wide sleeping spell that night had produced a numerous amount of results.

Some way more entertaining than others.

Him though?
He rubbed at his bloodshot eyes.
He hasn't slept a wink since.

Despite the incident occurring almost a week ago-too many things kept him awake more than not.

'An ancient creature we spiders fear'

'The creature was born in the castle.'

He silently nodded to Harry and Ron as they met in the hall.
They had agreed to visit Hermione before curfew began.

John had wanted to look through the library more-but not only did he just not have the time to do so anymore, but he didn't know where else to look.

Besides the forbidden areas, he's cleared out as much of available sections as he could.

None of them fit.

Not the descriptions nor their abilities.

If they didn't make progress soon, John will have to break in again.

Hermione's form was as still as ever.

He wondered if, when a paralyzed victim recovers, are their muscles sore from being in a prolonged, stationary position?

Of course he then hated himself the moment the thought finished asking-but he supposed it was valid enough to wonder.

The mage stood at the foot of the bed with Ron not far from his left, and Harry sat down beside her to his right, holding her hand in a delicate manner.

John cursed the world for its unfairness-for what was most assuredly the thousandth time.

"We miss you Hermione...wish you were here."

They were just kids.

John looked away and shut his eyes, tightly clenching his fists even as his arms were crossed.

"...what's-"

The blond looked back up the see Harry fiddling with her hand, pulling out something.

"What is it, mate?"

"It's-"
A rustling of paper.
A moment of silence as Harry took the moment to read it before turning to face them.
"It's the reason Hermione was in the library the night she was attacked."

What?

Harry got to his feet, hurrying past them.

"Come on!"

"Dammit Harry!"
They trailed after him.
"What is it?!"

Begrudgingly the boy slowed, walking to a lit torch by the hallway's wall.

"'Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the Basilisk. Capable of living hundreds of years, instant death await those that meets the giant serpent's eyes. With it's cold demeanor, impressive hunting skills, and deadly display of abilities-even the wild's most apex predators like spiders flee from it'-this is it!"
A triumphant grin overtook the boy's face.
"The monster within the Chamber of Secrets is a Basilisk!"