13 - of first impression and misunderstandings

ابدأ من البداية

He huffed and scratched the back of his head. Well, for these past few days, they have been talking with each other — whether it was directly or through several texts — and did have almost the same hobbies. So in some way, I guess we kinda get along...

Heh. He mentally sneered. Some rapport we're doing.

Concurrently, the doorbell jingled as two men slipped through the entrance. They waved their hand highly at the manager, who, without any second thoughts, welcomed them with open arms. They then exchanged some convo as she ushered them for their seats. It's like they knew each other for a long time.

"They're one of our regulars." Mairi interrupted his thoughts. "Usually ordered chow mein and dumplings, but can go for something else."

He hummed. "You all must know them well."

"Not really." She deadpanned at him. "I don't remember their names."

And yet again, Abel lost his momentum, narrowly tumbling down.

Yeah, this woman was genuinely hopeless. Like, beyond hopeless. A thousand reminders of his friends' names would definitely not make her budge. Hell, she probably didn't have their manager's name in mind! For her to forget people's names but remember all the shows she watched... What kind of selective memory does she have?

"Watch and learn." Her eyes glittered momentarily before she pulled out a notepad and pen. Abel merely shook his head before he followed her to the customers. So pleased with yourself, eh?

"Yo Mai! Nice to see that you're the same!" One of the customers exclaimed. "And..." He paused as he pointed his finger at the blue-haired man that he had never once seen before. "Who's the guy?"

Time to make the best impression. "I'm-"

"He's our new server, Abel and a friend of mine. He's just starting today and I'll be the one training him." And even before he could mutter his name, his friend somehow barged in and took the perfect words off his mouth. Why? How was he supposed to know?

"I can talk. You don't have to speak up for me!" He bitterly whispered and elbowed her.

"Well, I just want to," retorted Mairi, causing his brow to twitch. Ugh, now she's doing whatever she pleases...

"About time Jeanne hired new servers!" The customer cried out. "Now you don't have to run all over the place!" His gaze gradually rested on Abel, but he noticed how this man was busy scrutinizing his sky blue strands. He then let out a slow whistle. "Nice hair you got there."

The moment that compliment slinked its way to the reward center of Abel's brain, he snickered in response. An extensive — no point in hiding it — smile spread across his face in a matter of seconds. "Thanks dude! I feel like I'd rock this hairstyle."

And I surely did.

"Ah, this guy's a cosplayer too." Mairi had the audacity to crash the scene. "We usually meet at the conventions, but he told me he wanted to work here." She proceeded to tap his shoulder.

"Oo, wow, that's cool!" The men nodded in unison while Abel struggled maintaining his grin. God, the urge to protest filled up every space in his head. Even if everything she had said were never wrong, it was not like he couldn't say that himself! There's no doubt... Mairi's trolling with me.

"So what would you like for today?" She asked. Welp, I don't even get the chance to talk much to them...

"The usual!" One of the customers guffawed. "We're coming here for that."