Chapter 4: Platform Nine and Three Quarters

Start from the beginning

"Hello, dear," mum said to him. "First time at Hogwarts? Ron and (Y/n) are new, too." She continued pointing to the two of us.

"Yes," said the boy. "The thing is — the thing is, I don't know how to —"

"How to get onto the platform?" she said kindly, and the boy nodded.

"Not to worry," she said. "All you have to do is walk straight at the barrier between platforms nine and ten. Don't stop and don't be scared you'll crash into it, that's very important. Best do it at a bit of a run if you're nervous. Go on, go now before Ron."

"Er — okay," the boy said, eying the barrier precariously. He pushed his trolley into position and the. Just stood there for a second.

"Here let me help." I told him, running up behind him and giving him a push.

This seemed to help as the boy kept going, until he had passed onto platform nine and three quarters.

"He seemed nice." Mum said after he had left. "You two should make sure he gets on alright. I didn't see his parents anywhere around. Alright then, Ron it's your turn."

Ron nodded, getting into position and ran through the barrier. And then it was my turn. This was always my favourite part. I took one last look around before running full speed at the barrier, going right through it and emerging out onto platform nine and three quarters before-

BANG

I felt the collision before I saw it. I was thrown backwards onto my butt from the force of it.

"I'm really sorry!" I said springing up to my feet, and rushing to the other side of my trolley. I had rammed straight into a girl's trolley.

"It's alright, but you should really watch where you're going." The girl told me. She had brown bushy hair, and buck teeth.

She held her hand out towards me. "I'm Hermione by the way. Hermione Granger!"

"It's nice to meet you Hermione, I'm (Y/n) Weasley." He replied taking her hand.

"Come on (Y/n)!" Mum cried as she and Ginny came through the barrier. "You're going to miss the train!"

"Well it was good to meet you Hermione!" I said waving to her as I pushed my trolley over to the rest of my family.

"Alright boys you'd better get in the train." Mum said helping us load our trunks. "Where's Percy gotten to, and Fred? George? Are you there?"

"Coming mum!" They called from the train. Looking towards it I say the boy from earlier, half hidden in one of the windows watching us.

In all honesty it was a little creepy, but I gave a smile none the less.

"Ron, you've got something on your nose." Mum said pulling out a handkerchief. Ron tried to jerk out of the way but I grabbed his arm pulling him towards mum with an evil grin

"Mom— geroff" He said as she started to scrub his nose, before he was able to wriggled free.

"Aaah, has ickle Ronnie got somefink on his nosie?" Fred mocked.

"Shut up," said Ron.

"Where's Percy?" Mum asked looking around.

"He's coming now." I told her pointing off in the distance, as he strutting with his prefect badge on full display.

"Can't stay long, Mother," he said. "I'm up front, the prefects have got two compartments to themselves —"

"Oh, are you a prefect, Percy?" George said with an air of great surprise. "You should have said something, we had no idea."

"Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it," Fred continued.

"Once —"

"Or twice —"

"A minute —"

"All summer —"

"Oh, shut up," said Perce annoyed.

"How come Percy gets new robes, anyway?" I asked mum.

"Because he's a prefect," said their mother fondly. "All right, dear, well, have a good term — send me an owl when you get there."

She kissed Percy on the cheek and he left. She then rounded on the twins.

"Now, you two — this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've — you've blown up a toilet or —"

"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet."

"Great idea though, thanks, Mom."

"It's not funny. And look after Ron and (Y/n)."

"Oh come off it mum (N/n) can look after himself."

"Although we could use a new accomplice George."

"Don't even think about roping (Y/n) in your little schemes." Mum told them crossly, but Fred winked at me while her back was turned.

"Don't worry, ickle Ronniekins will be safe with us."

"Shut up," said Ron again.

"Hey, Mom, guess what? Guess who we just met on the train?"

"You know that black-haired boy who was near us in the station? Know who he is?"

"Who?"

"Harry Potter!"

"Oh, Mum, can I go on the train and see him, Mum, eh please..." Ginny asked eagerly.

"You've already seen him, Ginny, and the poor boy isn't something you goggle at in a zoo. Is he really, Fred? How do you know?"

"Asked him. Saw his scar. It's really there — like lightning."

"Poor dear — no wonder he was alone, I wondered. He was ever so polite when he asked how to get onto the platform."

"Never mind that, do you think he remembers what You-Know-Who looks like?" Mum got stern at this.

"I forbid you to ask him, Fred. No, don't you dare. As though he needs reminding of that on his first day at school."

"All right, keep your hair on." A whistle sounded, as the steam started to billow out of the engine faster.

"Hurry up then!" Mum cried as the four of us clambered onto the train. We leaned out of the window for her to kiss them good-bye, did our bests to soothe Ginny as she began to cry.

"Don't, Ginny, we'll send you loads of owls." I told her, trying to cheer her up.

"We'll even send you a Hogwarts' toilet seat."

"George!"

"Only joking, Mum."

And with that the train pulled out of the station. Ginny broke free from Mum's grasp as she chased after the train, tears rolling down her cheeks.

And with that we were off to Hogwarts.