Vol. 3, Chapter 2 - Three Monsters Unleashed

Start from the beginning

"Uh, no. Since you're asking me, I guess it's safe to say that that was Karma's doing."

"Hmm.. Yes, it does appear so."

Since we were already talking, I decided to ask him something else, not minding the drone hovering over us.

"Say, Koenji. Does this mean you're aiming for first place?"

He smirked, and responded. "Of course. My bet with Horikita-girl is too good to pass up you know."

"I see. Well goodluck then."

As I started to walk away, he called out to me.

"Ayanokoji-boy."

I stopped, and turned to him.

"What is it?"

"It seems that things were going too well for Dragon-boy at the start. Don't you agree?"

"I do. He managed to get the rest of our classmates rather early, and protected his bounties as well."

"Yes, almost too good actually. Almost like he saw through Horikita-girl's plan right from the start."

He said that while giving me a look that said:

'I know we have an traitor among us, and I know who they are, yet Horikita-girl elected to protect them, rather than vote them out.'

Or at least that's how I imagine it. Considering how sharp he is, I'm pretty he's already guessed Kushida's true nature, though maybe not to the fullest extent. Afterall, he did deduce that I was X. Seeing as how the drone above us is also equipped with a mic, we both understood that we can't risk revealing sensitive information.

"I guess you're right. I mean Ryuen did defeat Ichinose's class afterall."

"Hm hm hm. I guess so, but I, the perfect existence, shall out him in his place."

I have always been curious about his whole 'perfect existence' spiel. This was probably one of the few opportunities where I'll be able to have a proper conversation with him, so I decided to ask.

"Can I ask you something? Just this once?"

He put his hand on his chin before responding.

"Very well. I'm in a good mood. What would you like to ask?"

"It's about your whole 'perfect existence' thing. Why are you so fixated on that?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Just curious."

(3rd Person POV)

The whole exchange was being broadcasted on the main lobby's big screen. At first, many were wondering why two of Class D's last students were stopping for a conversation, but now they were intrigued by Ayanokoji's question. All eyes and ears were now glued to the screen, waiting in anticipation for Koenji's answer.

Horikita: 'I too share Ayanokoji-kun's sentiment, and I'm sure many people do as well.'

Sakayanagi: 'Fufufu. What an interesting question. I too have also been curious to Koenji-kun's stance on perfection, however no one starts off as perfect. One could say perfection is a lie, but the very definition of the word is standing right in front of him. Even if Ayanokoji-kun isn't considered to be perfect, he is still the masterpiece nonetheless.'

Ayanokoji: "For you to be "perfect", you must at least worked for it. If that's the case, what drives you?"

Sakayanagi: 'A reasonable assumption. Even though Ayanokoji-kun is considered to be the White Room's masterpiece, he still worked for it. It was the same for Akabane-kun as well, hence the name he made for himself in that place.'