Chapter 6

A call from Stiles has Harley rushing to the police station. She finds Scott, Stiles, Deaton, and Theo pushing through the front doorway. Harley exchanges a look with Theo as Scott rushes to the sheriff's side and Stiles turns the corner. Harley follows him, gasping as she finds Lydia lying at Kira's feet, bleeding heavily from a wound on her stomach. Allison is kneeling next to her, applying pressure on the wound. Theo jumps into action before anyone else can, tying his belt around her stomach to try and stop the bleeding. Harley turns as someone else enters the room, and she sees Lydia's mom.

"Ms. Martin," Harley gasps. "Wait, wait-" She's cut off when Ms. Martin forces her way into the room, dropping to her knees beside Allison. Harley looks back to Scott, who motions for her to follow. She hesitates, looking between him and Lydia.

"I might be able to heal her," she says.

"We can't risk it," Scott denies. 

"I have to try."

"You can't," Lydia gasps. 

"Lydia-"

"No. Go help Tracy. I'll be fine." Harley and Stiles look at each other, then follow Scott through the halls.

They stop short when they find Malia standing over Tracy, who is lying on the ground, unmoving.

"It wasn't me!" Malia defends.

"What the hell happened to her?" The sheriff asks.

"There were these people. They had masks Um, there...there were... three of them. I think there were three."

"What?" Stiles asks. "What are you talking about?"

"They were strong, Stiles. They had a weapon. Stiles, I didn't do this."

"Okay," Stiles reassures.

"She's not changing back," Deaton says. "We're going to need to get her out of here."

"What, hey!" The sheriff says. "Absolutely not. This is a crime scene. We call the coroner."

"I think the coroner might be very confused by this girls' severed reptilian tail."

"I don't care."

"You should. Unless you're prepared to hold a press conference announcing the presence of supernatural creatures in Beacon Hills." The sheriff blinks heavily, looking away.

"Dad, he's right," Stiles says.

"Maybe," Scott suggests, "At the clinic, we can figure out how to change her back, then call the coroner?"

"There-" The sheriff stammers, "There's a line--There is a line that we have to draw."

"Dad, you've already crossed it," Stiles says. "More than once."

"Sheriff, please," Deaton says.

"Harley?" The sheriff asks. She looks up, startled. 

"What?" she asks softly. "Oh, um--I'd--I'd let Deaton help."

"I've dealt with things like this before," Deaton says.

The sheriff shakes his head, sighing: "Just do it fast." Scott and Deaton pick up Tracy, and Harley watches them go, blankly. 

"Hey," Stiles says, grabbing her arm. "Are you okay?"

"When--" she sighs, "When did we start looking at death clinically? She's a kid, and we just had to convince the sheriff to not go through proper legal rounds to give her a burial. Where do we draw the line? When do we stop being the good guys?"

"Harley, it's not like that."

"Why not?"

"Because it can't be. I don't know what to do if it is."