A pleasant surprise

I hate it when it's this cold, lola said on phone with Jerry her best friend, as she struggled out of her bed and into her slip on, I find it hard to do anything , I just want to sleep and read comics .
Jerry laughed at the other end of the phone, Yoh are crazy gal, get yoh ass up from da' bed and be productive yo' .
What has my productivity yielded, I work my ass off for miles, and he doesn't even acknowledge my efforts or appreciate it, it's tiring , lola shrugged.
Yeh I know, yoh boss is a a'sshole Jerry said, and they both laughed. The conversation between these two young ladies will take hours before it comes to an end. Jerry has been Lola's ride or die since sixth grade , her enthusiasm and bravery never fails in whatever situation they got themselves into, and Lola loved her for that, Lola had her back to, especially when she came out the closet and made it known she was gay. It was hard on Jerry and Lola was there all through the hiccups, that hassle made them stronger ever since then.
Jerry, do you mind i call you in some hours time? Have got loads of things to do......
Ohhh, or yoh are a'bout to go meet the man you met at the restaurant eyyi? Jerry teased.
I knew I shouldn't have told you, I am not meeting anyone Jerry, you know I don't have the time for that, he is a real charmer no doubt but I have no time for all that , you should know me better Lola spat!
Easy Girl...... Jerry joked, I know you well enough to know that when you get this defensive, there is a sneaky link , Jerry laughed.
Get off my phone , Lola laughed and ended the call .
Was Jerry right? The last time a man was in her life was in high school and she got dumped on prom night.
Was derek' worth a shot? She laughed at her Silly thought, because deep down she knew it would never happen, and she couldn't remember his name, it sure as hell wasn't Derek, she reckoned.
Pathetic! Her love life was a mess and she was unbothered, for all she knew they might never meet again, it was just a one time meet up.
Shiiiiitttt, Miles!
She just recalled her boss gave her a comic outline to draft and she was far behind, he'll definitely have her head if she doesn't deliver by next week.
Settling down, Lola got her iPad and laptop and began to work.
Three hours unhinged, tired and eyes fixed on her system, hunger was definitely beginning to settle in, Yesssss, the glaze donots, she thought, She loved every bite of it and she was a bad cook after all.
She grabbed her keys and Fur jacket, not so thick but enough to keep her cozy and a little bit warm.
I hate this weather..... she muttered again under her breath, as she got into her car and drove to Philly's Donut&chill.
Hi Philly , Lola called out , as she got to the counter and made an order of a box of glazed donuts filled Nutella and a cup of hot chocolate, she really needed something hot.
Hi lol, Philly smiled, the middle aged man has been like an older friend to Lola for years since she settled in North Virginia, he would always give advice of how she worked her ass off and how she needed time for herself and personal life, Lola liked him, he was always sincere and accommodating.
Quick one lol........ he loved calling her 'lol, and she had no idea why, cause it was a funny initial.
An admirer paid for all your orders for the next few weeks.
An admirer? Lola was stunned , quit joking Philly, I am in a hurry, pack my orders, and how much is my bill?.........I am serious lol, Philly said, he is over there, Philly pointed at a barricade , close to the pink furnace.
Trying to make a picture of the man who sat beside the barricade was quite impossible, he was tall, built and his back was turned towards her , she couldn't make see his face.
Great! , so I'll have to walk over there to thank him, she thought! Walking slowly towards the man, Philly's was always a crowded space, and she had to shove and shrug to get past the crowd.
Sorry, ohh?!!... please, exxcuse me!!!!..... sorry.... paving way to the manly figure, still turned against her .
Crap, I'll thank him some other day, Lola frustratedly turned back to make her way to the counter, get her orders and leave .
Hi beautiful, someone called out....
Hello lola......, the voice was louder and quite direct.
Lola turned, stunned ,Hi derek, 'fuck! Muttering under her breath, how on earth didn't she realize it was him. It's Daren , not derek, he smiled sheepishly from ear to ear.
Oh, I'm sorry, Daren , I was coming to thank you for the gesture, Philly told me you......
Cutting her short, Daren said, oh....it's nothing, not to worry, just wanted to meet you once more, and I knew that would draw your attention. He smiled sheepishly.
Actually that was quite unnecessary but thoughtful, I am mostly here at phillys, favorite spot to unwind.
Oh really, so how come we never met? Daren cut in, cause I am sure I would never overlook a beauty this glaring he teased .
The little chitchat was uncomfortable but it felt good getting compliments from a handsome man, so she blushed a little.
Oh, you are blushing? I am not trying to flatter you , it's the truth, you are a beautiful woman, Daren said amidst a deep throaty laughter, he laughed a lot and quite easily.
Now embarrassed, the little pink flush that appeared, slowly disappeared from her face . Thanks for the kind gesture Lola said with a straight face , it was really thoughtful of you, I have to go now .
Hurriedly paving way back to the counter, Daren followed sheepishly, Can I at least get your cell number? Please don't say no, I really want to know you better....He said........
She tried protesting at first, maybe it wasn't a good idea, but then she felt it was only polite to give it out since he was kind enough to pay for her.
Alright, Lola said, but don't call at night .
Sure I won't, daren said, not smiling this time around, he kept a straight face.
340158673..... Thank you! Daren said , looking quite fulfilled.
As Lola left philly's, a part of her was excited, excited that this young man found her worth it to be acquainted with. She smiled as she left phillys with her order, quickly got to the Parking lot and hurriedly rushed into her car, it was freezing outside, Playing Zeria's new album while driving down sixth avenue gave her a bit of satisfaction!!!!