Part Twenty-One: The Hamptons

The closet door opens and Alex stands there, a frustrated look on his face as he extends his hand towards me, "I'm sorry you had to hear that."

Me, too.

"It's okay," I say before walking out of the closet, avoiding his hand because I have far too much on my mind right now. Everything Felicia said and Alex's response back - he doesn't trust women, he doesn't date, so why am I here? Why am I giving up Patrick for a man that doesn't want me?

Alex notices my change in mood and as I walk towards the best, running my hands through my hair I can feel his strong hands on my shoulders, massaging them gently, "What's wrong?"

"Not--"

"Don't say nothing," He stops me, pressing a soft kiss on the back of my head, "Is is what Felicia said? I know I mentioned that I hooked up with my brother's girlfriend, but..."

"It isn't that," I slowly turn to face him before giving him a sad smile. I couldn't give a genuine smile because it's just hard to fight the pit in my stomach that Alex has caused, "What are we doing, Alex? We're going behind Patrick's back for what? You just said so yourself, you don't date so what's the point? Fuck around until you get bored and move on after already destroying your son?"

Alex seems taken off guard by my answer and he steps back, tilting his head to the side as he tries to take in what I just said to him. He's either distraught that I would say that to him or realizing that I'm right - which I am.

He shakes his head before taking a step towards me and taking my hands in his, "I haven't dated since Felicia, that's true. Do I have trouble trusting women now? Yes. But Avery, neither of us know where this is going to lead so why are we making a big deal of it now."

"Because," I start, feeling frustrated that I even have to explain this to him, "Am I going to break up with Patrick for a few rounds of sex or are we going to completely shatter his life by telling him that we're seeing each other?"

"You always knew those were the only two options, Avery."

He isn't wrong, I've always known that the outcome would be sour but the closer we approach it the harder it seems. I want to know what Alex wants from this. Does this actually even mean anything more than just sex to him?

"But what do you want?" I ask him, trying not to seem so needing but feeling like I'm begging for reassurance from him. I hate the feeling of vulnerability I'm showing but all I really want is a simple answer.

"I..." Alex hesitates and I feel like that's an answer right there, but as I turn to walk out of the room I'm stopped by his hand gently grabbing my arm, "Avery, I want you. Okay? I want to take you to dinners and events, I want to have you spend the night in my bed without having to run off... But you need to understand that it won't happen right away, okay? You can't leave Patrick and just expect us to announce we're exclusive."

He's right. God, I hate to admit it, but he's right.

My life has become one big secret, starting with the night I slept with Alex and ended up dating his son. Now, after Patrick and I break up I'll have a new secret.

By the way, I'm now dating your father exclusively.

When did things get so fucked up and why did I put myself in the position? Is Alex's dick really worth the hassle? The short answer is, yes. But it isn't even about sex, I feel an undeniable chemistry with Alex, something I don't feel with Patrick and I owe it to myself to at least explore it, right?

"I want you to stay away from me," I tell Alex and the look on his face is confusion and shock, before he can ask me why I am quick to correct myself, "Just until I break up with Patrick... This shouldn't have happened, it's one thing planning to be together but going behind his back isn't fair. So in order to prevent us from taking things too far, we should keep our distance for now."