Part Nineteen: Crossing Lines

When Patrick and I arrive at his father's house, I'm hesitant and cautious. After the text Alex sent me, I have no idea what to expect from him or from anyone else. I feel terrible for the secret messages behind Patrick's back, a part of me just wished that I could break up with him now so I don't continue to feel like I'm cheating on him, but like Alex said, I have to wait until after his birthday.

I care deeply for Patrick, but it's best to cut ties before love comes into factor and right now, I know I don't love Patrick. I could in the future, but that won't happen - I won't let it.

We're greeted by Hilary who seems more bubbly than usual, "Pat, you have no idea how good it is seeing mom and dad together."

"Yeah?" Patrick beams, seeming eager.

"Dad has this glisten in his eye and he seems kind of happy for a change," Hilary adds as she talks about Alex and Felicia. I try not to be jealous but I can't help it - Alex and Felicia just doesn't seem like a pair. She's too blonde and...

"There's my handsome boy," I hear the familiar high pitched voice that belongs to Felicia and I snap from my thoughts, looking over to see her walking our of the kitchen with Alex following behind.

As Felicia hugs Patrick, I take a look at Alex who is wearing a navy blue button down shirt with black jeans, the dark colours bringing out his bright eyes. Hilary is right, he does have a certain look about him tonight.

Maybe the text wasn't meant for me, he could have easily intended to send that to Felicia instead.

"It's good to see you again, Avery." Felicia says with a smile, "My Patrick have said a lot about you, all good things."

I look over at Patrick with a smile on my face, "He's wonderful, ma'am. He praises you plenty."

"Oh god, please call me Felicia. I'm not that old," She laughs, looking over at Alex with a smirk on her lips, "Alex, love. How about we crack open the bottle of wine and get this dinner started. Is Delores almost done?"

"Delores?" I ask, looking over at Patrick and Hilary.

Hilary smiles at me, "Delores is our mum's personal chef. She hires her for dinners every time she's in town. She's the best."

A personal chef? This woman is unbelievable. I may be a little bitter, but I find it very difficult to like her. The way she flaunts everything that she has, looks and materialistic things.

I follow everyone to the dining room where the table is already prepared, so it seems like Delores is really on her game tonight. I take a spot next to Patrick with Hilary on my other side, Felicia sits next to Alex who sits across me.

Tonight her long blonde hair is loosely curls and falling to one side, she's less pink and more white this evening, wearing a skin tight white dress that must have cost a few thousand dollars. The necklace around her neck is shining and I'm certain that it's real diamonds that's glistening.

She's pretty - really pretty.

"Avery, my dad asked you a question," Patrick says as he nudges me.

I raise an eyebrow at him, "I'm sorry, what was that?"

"Your work with Conrad," He repeats himself, his deep voice sending chills down my body, "He isn't being too hard on you, I hope."

"Oh no, he's very nice." I nod my head, managing a smile as everyone begins to fill their plates. I have no idea what I'm eating but it's some kind of pasta, "It's a lot of pressure working with someone as successful as Klaus Conrad but I'm grateful for the opportunity."