eight.

“Do you know how selfish that is?”

🌺

21 days later
Location: unknown

“Did you know why he needed the antibiotics?” the ginger man asks. Katherine shakes her head. “No, at least not then. I found out later on why. Which I'm guessing you know why, at this point. Since we were taken to some doctors when we got here.” Katherine says. Both men nod their heads. “Yes, we were informed why. Were you upset, that he didn't tell you?” The brunette man asks. “No, not at all. I understand his reasoning. And I respect that.” Katherine responds. The man nods and writes something down.

🌺

21 days ago
Location: unknown
Day 14 on the island

After taking a nap, Katherine had gone in search of Leo. They needed to talk, to settle things between them. Whenever they were around each other, there was always an awkward tension between them. Leo hadn't brought the subject up in front of Kirin, for their sake. Which Katherine appreciated.

She wasn't ready to tell Kirin about it. The situation made her angry, and embarrassed. Leo had broken his promise to Katherine, the day they made it. And, she was still upset about it. Mainly embarrassed, that she had trusted him. Leo, a popular, hot, 'amazing' guy, had paid attention to her.

Although she was popular, she was really only popular because of her athletic career. Not, because they noticed small details about her. Like how she only wore red flannels, any other color would be a surprise. She would listen to Waves by Dean Lewis on repeat, and it would never get old or boring. She would always pace when she was angry, or nervous. She would talk fast when excited about something.

Nobody had noticed these things before. Not until Leo. They had been arranged to sit together at the beginning of their junior year. And they had started to have small conversations. Making jokes, laughing. And he had asked her out a month into the school year. She had been excited, getting ready for the date. Even going as far as calling her older sister who was in college for advice.

And it had all been for nothing. He hadn't even shown up. And he didn't try talking to her, and apologizing. He had just, simply ignored her. She was hurt, but most of all, confused. She hadn't done anything for him to ignore her. She tried talking to him multiple times and he ignored her. A few days later, he was dating someone. One of the girls from his friend group.

Katherine had called her sister again, but this time instead of excited, she was crying. And, angry, so angry that he had done this to her. Her sister, Kristin, better known as Chrissy, had gotten a plane ticket and gone home. To comfort her sister. She had eventually gotten Katherine out of the house, and they had run into Leo. Chrissy had taken one look at Katherine's face, and knew immediately who he was.

She went up to him, and said something to him. Inaudible to Katherine, and then slapped him across the face. And walked back to Katherine. Katherine was stunned, and had to be tugged away by Chrissy. She had asked Chrissy what she had said to him. And had only said, “I'll tell you later. But, right now, we need to go get food. I'm starving.” She had never gotten the chance to tell her what she said to him.

Because the same day as they were walking back to their car. A half asleep driver had run right into her. She had passed away in the ambulance, as they were on their way to the hospital. All Chrissy had wanted was to make her sister feel better.

🌺

21 days ago
Location: unknown
Day 14 on the island

When Katherine found Leo, he was collecting wood. He saw her walking towards him, and he smiled at her. “Hey, Kath. What are you doing?” Leo asks. “We need to talk about, about what happened between us. Before the island, I mean.” Katherine says. Leo nods his head in understanding.

He sets the wood he had collected, down. And motions for her to sit down on the ground with him. They both sit on a random log. Leo looks at her expectingly. Katherine sighs, and looks at him. “Why did you ignore me? Especially, after you didn't even bother to show up.” Katherine asks.

“I don't know.” Leo says with a shrug. That was a lie. He does know why. “That's bullshit, and we both know it. Just tell me why. That's all I'm asking.” Katherine responds. Leo exhales slowly. “I can't – no I can't.” Leo says shaking his head. “You're the one who wanted to talk about this. So let's talk about it. Explain yourself, I deserve an explanation.” Katherine argues. “Yeah, well. I changed my mind. I don't want to talk about it anymore.” Leo disagrees.

“Leo, I'm moments away from slapping you again, if you don't explain.” Katherine threatens. That's enough to convince Leo to start talking. “I'm sorry I did that to you.” Leo apologizes. Katherine motions for him to continue. “I ignored you because I started to like you. A lot. And every time I let myself do that. The person always ends up getting hurt. So, I made it so you would hate me.” Leo explains.

Katherine looks at him, stunned by his confession. “Do you know how selfish that is?” Katherine asks. Leo shakes his head. “It's not selfish. I'm trying – was trying to protect you from me.” Leo disagrees. “And don't you think that it should have been my choice to make?” Katherine asks. Leo doesn't answer them. “That never crossed your mind did it?” Katherine questions. He shakes his head at her. She scoffs at him. “You were too fucking caught up in your feelings that you couldn't even think properly. That's what you're telling me?” Katherine says.

“What I'm saying is, that I'm in love with you. So sue me for caring about protecting you.” Leo responds. Katherine shakes her head at him. As she's about to say something, they both hear Kirin's voice. “Is that why neither of you wanted to tell me? Cause he's in love with you?” Kirin asks. “No! I didn't know he was in love with me!” Katherine exclaims. “I am, not was.” Leo corrects. “For God's sake.” Katherine mutters.

“Same thing. Point is, you couldn't trust me enough to say this shit to me.” Kirin says to Katherine. “How the fuck do I just bring the topic up? “Oh hey, by the way me and Leo almost dated. Before he completely ghosted me, and started dating someone else, not even a month later. And now he just wants me to forgive him. Anyway, how was your day?” Is that what you wanted me to fucking say?” Katherine asks.

“No, I wish you – both of you could've just told me. That's all.” Kirin says, before walking away from them. “Kirin! Come back so we can explain, fully.” Leo calls out. “Fuck that!” Kirin responds. Katherine sighs, before going after him.