Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Two?" Harriet asked, tilting her head as she looked over at Sammy.

Sammy chuckled. "Yes two. Who is the father going to be and...which one of us will carry the baby to term?"

Harriet's lips grew into a smile that Sammy was honestly convinced would split her entire face into two. Dizzy had clearly been giving lessons—though according to Gil that would be pretty hard to do as Dizzy had made friends with his youngest sister who'd come into Evie4Heart's one day to have lunch with Gil. He'd been busy with a fitting and when he came back to greet her, he'd found Lacey deep in conversation with Dizzy.

After that, Dizzy and Lacey had been almost inseparable. Celia once said that they were the new Harry and Uma but Harriet couldn't help but think that Celia was throwing that out as to get attention off of her and Cyrus. They were awfully close after all.

Okay, focus, she thought. Uma can worry about Celia's love life, you have something more pressing to think about.

"You're really on board with this?" Harriet asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Sammy asked, shaking her head. "Harriet, I love you. I love making you happy and if having a child makes you happy, then it makes me happy too. Besides, it's not like it'll happen right away."

Harriet sighed. Sammy had a point there—the years of eating the Isle's food had taken its toil on both their bodies and even though Harriet had slightly easier access to food than Sammy did, what with the Captain running a fish shop, they both knew that any children they did have would likely be only children.

"I...I was thinking I'd carry the baby," Harriet told her.

"I can do it," Sammy said.

Harriet sighed and gently took Sammy's hand. "Sammy, I know we're the same age but you're slightly older than I am. Remember, they even said that age was a factor in having kids."

"If that's the case then how was Yzma able to have two kids?" Sammy asked.

"I don't know and in all honesty the less we think about Yzma and her ability to procreate the happier I'll be."

"That's a good point cap'n, carry on."

Harriet chuckled and shook her head. "There's...there's another reason why I want to carry the baby. I...I love you."

"I love you too," Sammy said. How is that a reason for wanting to be the one to carry the baby?

"I love you and I...my mother died when CJ was born," Harriet said, her voice a near whisper. "I don't think I could handle losing another person I love like that. Please. For me."

"Hey, hey," Sammy said, gently resting her other hand on top of Harriet's. "I'm not going anywhere cap'n. To steal from Jay, I'm with you until the end of the line and we meet Davy Jones. But if it makes you more comfortable, you can carry our child and I'll play the dutiable spouse here to spoil your every waking moment."

"You already do that though."

"That just means I'm good at it."

Both women chuckled at that and Sammy shook her head. "So that's one question answered but we're still missing an answer for the second."

"What was the second question again?"

"Who's going to be the father to our child?"

Harriet's smile never left her lips as she heard that. There was just something magical about the words 'their child'. "I'm going to be honest, I have thought this over. I think it should be someone we should trust."