F O R T Y - S E V E N

Start from the beginning

"Max," one of my fellow employees grips my shoulders. "Someone is asking for you."

"Who?"

He shrugs and points to the far door. "Not sure, some kid. Said he's looking for you."

I drop the crate of glasses onto the counter instantly and rush down the bar, my eyes waiting to see who was at the door behind the sea of people. Curls caught my gaze but I force myself not to get my hopes up just in case, I'm probably going crazy.

As I loop the bar and head for the door, pushing through people. My knees almost buckle at the sight of him, flattened tears scatter his cheeks, the letter in one hand.

When our eyes meet he releases a tough breath and steps forward before wrapping my arms around my neck. I pull his body into mine instantly and tuck my head into the crook of his neck, feeling my heart rattle a thousand times a second.

I clutch the back of his head with my hand and breathe out heavily, like having him in my arms was my dying wish.

We stay like this for a few moments until Oliver pulls away and looks up at me. Eyes red and sore from crying, cheeks flushed pink and hair slightly messy.

"Who the fuck am I kidding?" His words almost get caught in his throat.

I furrow my eyebrows at his question and place my hand on his cheek, unable to not touch him when he's looking at me like that.

"Fuck," he clenches his eyes shut and shakes his head once. "I can't do life without you, Max. Of course I fucking can't. You are my soulmate and I was trying to walk away from you. I was trying to run from everything we've built."

My feet shuffle impossibly closer and I use my other hand to grip his opposite cheek, holding him in place. Tears litter his eyes again but he sniffles and I can tell he's trying to not let them fall.

"Are you sure that's what you want?" My voice is strained.

Oliver's eyebrows scrunch up at my words. "What?"

"To be with me. Are you sure that's what you want?"

My chest feels heavy because if he still has any doubts I'd rather he be honest, get the help he needs alone first before deciding on anything between us.

"Yes," he whistles through his teeth unintentionally. "I've thought about it, I thought about us and yes. That is what I want. I want a life with you in it, no matter of our past."

"Then don't do life without me." I whisper, his lips quivering at my words. "We can do it together."

His eyes light up at my words and he buries his head into my chest, like we had been away from each other for far too long.

"We can do whatever you want but we will do it together, I don't want to leave your side ever again. You mean everything to me, Oliver. I will tell you that every single day." I kiss the top of his head.

Oliver shifts his head and I instantly wipe away his tears. "Let's go away together." He says suddenly.

"Where?"

"Anywhere." I blink back at his spontaneity. "Anywhere from here. From this shitty life, start new somewhere else. Where we don't know anyone."

"But what about university?" My head begins to shake.

Oliver sniffles once. "I can transfer somewhere else."

I find my forehead creasing as I caress the side of his cheek again. "Do you really want to give up UAL? You worked so hard to get there. It's been your dream to graduate from that place."