Chapter 13

"Liam!" Jasper yells, running up the stairs and taking them three at a time. He rushes through Liam's door to see his son sitting up in bed with his hair in every direction, rubbing his eyes. "Liam, get up. We need to go," he says, out of breath but not giving a damn as he goes to Liam's closet and grabs him clothes before leaving his room and running downstairs to grab his keys. Three minutes later, Jasper and Liam are in Jasper's truck as he speeds to the nearest hospital, hoping that's the one that she would be at. Hopefully, she didn't drive far away from the house, so if someone found her that's where they would bring her.
"Daddy, what are we doing? It's the middle of the night," Liam says, looking out the window at the trees passing them by.
"I'll tell you later, buddy. We need to get to the hospital." Jasper was so scared that he didn't even want to think about it. What if someone didn't find her? What would he do then? He didn't know where she was or what happened and it was killing him.
When they get to the hospital, Jasper parks in the front and hops out, picking up Liam and hurrying inside. The lady at the front desk greets him with a smile, but he's all business. "I need to see Jessica Simmons. Is she here?"
"What is your relation to Ms. Simmons?" The woman asks, typing on her computer.
"Boyfriend," he says instantly without an ounce of regret.
She clicks her tongue. "I'm afraid there isn't a Miss Jessica Simmons in this hospital."
The air blows out of his lungs. "What? That can't be right. She has to be here. Where else would they take her?" He rushes out.
"I'm sorry, sir..." She stops speaking as the doors to their right bursts open and a group of doctors walk in, rolling a gurney. Jasper steps out of the way, his heart dropping when he sees who's laying in the bed.

•o•o•o•
Jasper paces the dead silent waiting room, trying to erase the image of her laying on the gurney. From what he could see, her head had been bleeding pretty bad and now all he could see was her blood. They'd rolled her through a separate hallway and wouldn't allow Jasper through, so now he had to just silently freak out in the waiting room. Liam's sound asleep in one of the chairs. Jasper was thankful that Liam was so short because he hadn't been able to see through the doctors to see the bloodied Jess.
The only thing that Jasper could do was call her parents, which the hospital did. He spoke to her mom, though, telling her what happened as far as he knew. The doctors wouldn't give him any information because he wasn't immediate family, which was driving him absolutely insane.
He had no idea what to do. He was so terrified that his hands couldn't help but shake rapidly at his sides. He knew that he would never be able to erase the sight of her with blood pouring out of her head and her rosy cheeks suddenly as pale as the hospital walls. He just hoped he'd get the chance to replace that sight with one of her beautiful smile in the future.
It had been two hours since she'd disappeared behind the door, almost three in the morning, and he wanted nothing more than to kiss her and hold her as they fell asleep. It has just been about a few days since they'd started "dating" and he'd already gotten so close to her. He cared about her so much that it was almost scary to him. It had been a really long time since he'd cared for someone this much.
    It's exactly forty-five minutes later that one of the doctors walking out of the doors approaches him, a clipboard in his hands. "Mr. Derelli?" He continues as Jasper desperately nods. "As far as we know, it seemed she was hit by a semi truck."
    "But she's okay, right?" Jasper interrupts.
    The doctor nods. "She is okay. She hit her head against the window pretty severely and lost consciousness instantly. Because of that, she is suffering from a minor brain bleed and a major concussion. I don't think the brain bleed was too serious that she'll have any severe symptoms, most likely just short-term memory loss at the most. She's very lucky. If the semi hadn't of hit the rear end of her car, we would be having a much different conversation right now."
    "Can I go see her?" Jasper asks hopefully, just wanting to hold onto her for dear life.
    The doctor nods again. "She's in room 203."
    Jasper gets Liam up and they make their way towards her room. Liam slowly wakes up as they make their way towards it, his little hands folded together in front of his chest. Her room door is open as they enter, a nurse setting some things down in the corner. Jasper's eyes dart over to Jess and he blows out a breath upon seeing her covered in bandages. He makes his way to her bed, pulling a chair over before seating himself in it. He hesitates, then gently slides his hand over her's. Liam does the same thing, taking a seat across from Jasper. They sit there for a long time in silence as the nurse leaves and closes the door behind her.
    "What happened to Jess, Daddy?" Liam asks in a quiet voice, petting her hand softly.
    Jasper swallows thickly. "You remember what happened to grandma a while ago?" Liam nods. "She got in a car accident. That's what happened to her."
    "Is she going to be okay?" He asks, his blue eyes looking over her bandages that seem to cover her everywhere.
    Jasper nods. "Yeah. Yeah, she'll be okay. We just need to be careful with her, okay?"
    Liam nods. "Why was she driving in the middle of the night?"
    Jasper drops his head, kissing her hand as he holds it between his. "I said some things I shouldn't have to her. I think I hurt her feelings and then she left."
    "Did you mean it?"
    Jasper shakes his head. "Of course not. I was just worried about her. That's all."
    Liam nods and they fall into silence, both staring at her and willing her to wake up. Jasper had so much that he wanted to say to her. He wasn't even sure that when she did wake up, he wouldn't start blubbering like a fool in an attempt to show her how much she meant to him.
    Eventually, Liam falls asleep again, his head lolled back against the back of the chair. Jasper stays awake, watching Jess's every move, waiting for a squeeze from her soft hand or a flicker of her eyes. But still, nothing.
    It's finally as the sun starts to rise slowly and the room slowly lightens, that her eyes flicker open. Her head tilts slightly and she inhales a quick breath before her eyes lock on Jasper's tired blue eyes.
    "Hey," he whispers, leaning forward and gently squeezing her hand.
    "What happened?" She asks, looking around the room.
    "You got in a car crash. You had some brain bleeding and you have a pretty nasty concussion, but you're okay." She nods slowly, laying her head back against the pillow. "Jess, listen..." he swallows thickly, kissing her hand before holding it tighter in both of his. "I'm so sorry about what I said to you, baby. I didn't mean any of it. I definitely could have handled that better. I just hate the idea of another man texting you, especially to make a date. I'm sorry, Jess."
    She squeezes his hand, shaking her head slowly like it hurts her to do so. "It's okay, Jasper. I get it. And I'm sorry too for getting so defensive."
    He stands and leans forward over her, pressing his lips to her's shortly. "I'm so glad you're okay," he whispers, stroking her cheek. "I should have been more clear with you, Jess. I want you to be mine. I don't want any other guy to ever think that you're single. I want them to just look at you and be able to tell you're mine."
She can't help but smile. "I want that too," she whispers, pressing a kiss to his lips.
"Jessy, you're awake!" Liam yells, alerting them of his own awakening.
He tries to lunge out and hug her, but Jasper moves quickly, putting his hand on Liam's chest to stop him and narrowing his eyes at him. "Careful, Liam."
Liam smiles sheepishly. "Sorry, Daddy. Sorry, Jessy."
Jess smiles, reaching her arm out slowly. "That's okay, buddy. Give me a hug." As Jasper lets down his hand, Liam hugs Jess gently, laying his head on her chest.
"How are you feeling?" He asks her.
"Better now. Your hugs are magic," she says, running her hand through his messy hair and trying to calm the stringy strands.
He giggles as Jasper crosses his strong arms, leaning back in his chair. "What about my hugs?"
"Your hugs are... warm?" She jokes.
"They're warm?" He asks dryly.
She nods, fighting a smile while Liam giggles into her arm. "And squishy."
Jasper's jaw drops open and Liam cracks up with giggles. "Well then no more warm and squishy hugs for you." He points at Liam. "Or you either."
"That's okay. I much prefer your kisses," Jess says, smiling softly as she leans back into the pillow, her head aching dully like an annoying pounding that won't go away.
Jasper chuckles, shaking his head. "Can I get you anything?" He asks, serious again as he leans forward and places his hand over her's.
"Some water would be nice," she says, so Jasper leaves on a quest to find her water. He had to go down the hall and into the waiting room to grab her some, but he didn't mind. As long as she was okay.
When he gets back, his heart melts to find Liam laying in the bed next to Jess, asking her a million questions about what each thing in the room does. She makes up answers, looking tired again, but happy to be talking to Liam.
Jasper hands her her water and helps her drink some with his slightly shaky hands. She thanks him quietly, her eyes fluttering.
"You tired?" He asks her gently, pulling his chair closer again and sitting down.
She nods slowly, the action paining her. There's a knock at the door and one of the doctors walks in, asking Jess questions about what she remembers and how she's feeling. Before the doctor leaves, she ends up increasing Jess's meds, which knocks her right out in minutes.
Liam leans his head against her shoulder, fidgeting with her hand. "Daddy, I love Jessy," he says suddenly which makes Jasper's heart kick up.
He knew something like this would happen soon. Liam was so attached to Jess even in just a short amount of time. There was no turning back anymore for Jasper. If they broke up, it would hurt Liam so bad and Jasper didn't want his son to feel anymore pain.
"You know what, buddy? I think I do too," Jasper says, surprising himself.
Liam laughs. "I know you do."
"How do you know that?"
"Daddy, you were so scared," he says. "You looked like you were about to have a heart attack."
    Jasper chuckles, rubbing the back of Jess's hand with his thumb. "I felt like it to be honest."
    They sit there for a long time as the doctors come in and out. Jasper eventually takes Liam to get some food from the vending machine and when they get back, Jess is awake in the bed, looking out the window.
    "Hey, baby," Jasper says, leaning down and kissing her forehead. "How are you feeling?"
    She smiles softly. "Much better than before," she says. She had a headache and when she moved her head too fast, the room seemed to spin and her eyes would unfocused, but she did feel great compared to this morning.
    "Are you hungry? We brought you some food?" Liam asks her, climbing into his chair again across from Jasper.
    "Food is just about the furthest thing from my mind," she says, chuckling. "Especially hospital food."
    "Here, you really should drink something," Jasper says, reaching behind him and grabbing a bottled water. This time, she's able to drink it on her own, reassuring Jasper that she really is feeling better.
    Her and Jasper talk for a while as Liam eats his breakfast. Soon, a doctor walks in and shoos Liam and Jasper out to run more tests, so Jasper's back to anxiously waiting outside her room. He didn't like not being able to be with her right now and see her all the time. It worried him now when he couldn't keep an eye on her.
    The doctor does multiple tests with Jess. Asking about her name again, what day it is, doing eye tests, pain tests, and many more. By the end of it, Jess's headache seemed to have doubled by all the questions.
    She was incredibly relieved when the doctor let Liam and Jasper back in and Jasper scooped up her hand again, holding it in his large one.
    Her heart leaps as he kisses the back of her hand. "Your parents will probably be here today."
    "My parents?" She asks, frowning.
    He nods. "They were called and I talked to them a little bit. They said they would be on the next flight."
    "Thank you," she whispers, her heart so full of happiness. This man talked to her family without her even knowing. He talked to her dad, and probably even her brothers. And now they were coming and he didn't even look worried. If anything, his worry was all on her.
    "Of course," he says, holding her hand to his chest.
    He watches her for several seconds, his eyes reading her's as he memorizes her beautiful features. "What?" She asks, smiling her beautiful pearly smile.
    He leans forward slightly. "I've told you how relieved I am that you're okay, right?"
    She nods with a small smile. "A time or two."
    He kisses her hand again before pressing her palm to his cheek. "You scared me, Jess. Really scared me."
     Her thumb swipes across his cheek. "I'm sorry."
    "Don't be. Just don't leave me next time," he says chuckling. "Even if I push you out, just kiss me and hug me until I find my brain again."
    She nods. "I can promise you that."
    Later that night, her family had shown up. Her brothers and parents. Her mom was all over the place, ordering around the doctors for new blankets and better food while her dad just kept pushing Jasper out of the way so he could hold her hand and whisper how happy he was to see her. And her brothers were exactly as she'd remembered them. Collin was supportive and honest as always while Luke was joking and fooling around the whole time. Luke and Liam got along great and her mother wouldn't stop fawning over how adorable Liam was.
Jasper dealt with her family like a champ, being polite and courteous. Even when Luke, Collin, and her dad gave him the handshake and the interview, he didn't show his nervousness at all. He was smooth and collected, but wasn't afraid in the least to be affectionate towards Jess while they were around. He was still cautious around her overprotective dad and brothers, but still held her hand and kissed her often.
They all got along really well and all of them stayed the night. Then the next morning, after more tests and a rundown of medicine, Jess was sent home. Everyone seemed to be babying her as they helped her into Jasper's truck, her mom fawning around like a chicken with her head cut off and Jasper trying to hold onto every part of her body like she would shatter. Her dad was eating a burrito, so he thankfully wasn't too over the top.
Her family was crazy and too much for anyone to handle, but she couldn't love them more.