Chapter 6

The kiss went on for far longer than it should have. They were both too far into it, swept away into their sudden longing for each other when they heard tiny footsteps enter the kitchen, followed by a muffled, "Daddy? Are you here?"
Jess and Jasper jump away from each other as if they set on fire, both jerking to separate corners. As she catches her breath, she can't help but raise her hands to her lips that feel swollen from his.
"Hey, buddy. What are you doing up?" Jasper asks after clearing his throat, regaining his bearings as he sets his beer down and crouches down in front of Liam.
Jasper could tell that Liam didn't see anything since the kitchen was so dark, only lit up by the moon shining through the kitchen window, but Jess and Jasper had been blocking the light while they were unashamedly making out. Liam rubs his eyes with the back of his hands, yawning. "I wanted to see you when you got back."
"You'll see me tomorrow, buddy. You need to sleep if you want to grow up big and tall." Glancing back at the still silent, stunned Jess, he grabs Liam's hand and follows him upstairs to his bedroom.

•o•o•o•
Jess lays in bed, staring at the ceiling through the dark. Her lips still seem to tingle from where she could still feel his. Her head had been swirling since the kiss and she couldn't seem to figure out anything at the moment. She didn't know why he kissed her, why he didn't pull away, why she didn't pull away, why he didn't say anything, why it felt so different. She couldn't understand anything.
She couldn't sleep either. It had been forty-five minutes and thirteen seconds since she'd gone back to the guest house and had laid down in bed, but she still couldn't get her eyes to close and stay closed.
She didn't necessarily even know if she wanted to sleep, knowing that her dreams would most likely replay what just happened in her boss's kitchen. She didn't know what to think about it. Obviously, she'd liked the kiss, but she shouldn't have. She should have pushed him away and left. He was her boss. That automatically means no kissing or touching of any kind.
But it felt different. She couldn't explain it, but it just did. It made her feel alive and wanted. It made her feel real.
Jasper was having the same dilemma that Jess was. He was sitting in his chair, slouched back into the cushion with his head hanging back onto the head rest, staring at the ceiling. In the time that he'd been sitting in that exact chair thinking over anything and everything, he'd convinced himself that he was actually going crazy. He'd kissed her. Jess. His son's nanny. Everything that he didn't want to do. He wanted to avoid her, he wanted to pay her, say have a good day, and leave her be. He wanted to not want her. But he also wanted her. Or his body did. And she apparently wanted him too. He didn't know what to do anymore.
The worst part was that he still wanted her. He wanted to kiss her again.
Blowing out a long breath, he shakes his head, trying to remove any thoughts of the beautiful brunette, but he couldn't no matter how hard he tried. And he knew for sure that he couldn't go to sleep, not with how many thoughts were running through his mind.
    What plagued him was that he'd told himself to leave her alone. He'd promised himself to pay attention to his son and do whatever it took to put his son's best interest first. He wanted to stay as far away from her as possible. But tonight, he'd completely lost control and Liam almost saw them because of it.
    He knew that he needed to figure out how to fix what he started, but by the time that he finally got out of his head, he was standing in front of the guest house door with his hand raised to knock. After three seconds, the door opens to reveal Jess, still looking the exact same as she did in the kitchen.
    The two stare at each other for several seconds as Jasper tries to think up what to say. His mind blanks as he stares at her, her lips parted slightly and her hair a pretty mess on her head.
    Jess was the one to move this time, her body taking control as it propelled her forward and against his hard, muscular body. Her hands grabbed his face and pulled him down to her height as her lips met his in a passionate, deep kiss that had her thoughts finally freezing.
    She didn't think about how she was kissing him. She didn't think about how her hands were finding their way to his soft hair. She didn't even think about how his hands were all over her too. She just let her body take control and stopped thinking all together.
    Jasper couldn't help himself. His hands were on her waist, her back, her shoulders. He was unable to stop as they walked back into the guest house, him closing the door behind them. Her lips were so soft and so sweet to him. He just wanted to kiss her forever.
    Somehow, they ended up against the wall, her pressed against his body and the hard wall. She could feel his warmth beneath his t-shirt, which was taught against his solid muscles.
    Jasper's mind slowly catches up with him. His lips part from her's momentarily. "This isn't why I came here," he says quietly.
    She pants heavily, leaning her head back against the wall. "You're right. We should stop."
    Jess takes her hands back to herself and Jasper steps away from her, trying to get a breath that isn't filled with her vanilla perfume. It practically plagues his mind.
    "Um, what can I do for you?" She asks awkwardly, fixing her clothes as she tries to erase the feelings of his hands.
    "We need to talk about what happened in the kitchen... and just now," Jasper says, his head spinning.
    Jess nods. "It can't happen again."
Jasper shakes his head. "It can't." He tips his head back and groans, closing his eyes. "I have to think about Liam. I can't let you distract me."
    Jess watches him battle himself. "I understand," she says. She did understand. He had a son whose mom already left and once. She was sure that Jasper didn't even have time for a significant other.
    Jasper's bright blue eyes meet her's again. To him, it's like her eyes are constantly drawing him in. Pulling away every ounce of sanity and taking control of him. Before he even knows it, he's standing right in front of her again, once again breathing in her intoxicating perfume.
    Jess's breathing quickens, her chest constricting as his chest gets so close to her's, his blue eyes gazing into her's. She swallows thickly, inhaling a shaky breath. "You should go."
    Jasper was surprised to hear her talk, but, once her words were processed, he nodded, managing to step away from her. As he left the guesthouse, he knew that she did him a favor by saying that. She was respecting his wishes and that made Jasper's heart feel things that it shouldn't.
If he didn't get a grip on himself, he'd lose his grip all together.