Chapter 4: La an Bhreithiunais

At the base of every inhabited tree in was a dirt path, carved through the grass from years of travel. They all connected to form a square in front of the main tree in which the Chieftan stayed. From there, they branched out in different directions, leading off into the forest. The roots of the main tree were thick and curled over one another as they stretched out along the grassy forest floor. Turkey Tail mushrooms extended up and around the base of the tree, some of them acting as stairs leading up to elaborately carved wooden doors resting in the bark.

The thickest of the roots on the main tree arched up towards the sky before falling back down to the ground, revealing a wooden door nestled into its bottom. It was through this door that Torian headed out onto the sun-speckled path ahead of him.

It had been four days since he had seen Siobhan and each day brought a new issue upon him: a fire along a border here, humans running amuck there, and several of the Chieftains had done a phenomenal job of creating arguments out of anything and everything. Torian had agreed to allow them to stay in Muisiriun until Naoise and his group returned, but he was beginning to regret that decision with every passing hour.

He expected them to find even more to argue about today because it was La an Bhreithiunais, Judgement Day. Every six months, fairies within his territory would make the voyage to Hollow Stump, where they could voice their concerns, disagreements, issues, and he would have to provide solutions, judgement, and sound reason.

The matter was highly publicized, and his decisions spoke to his ability as a leader. Chieftains in the past had lost their status by making what the public considered, "the wrong choice," during La an Bhreithiunais. The stakes were high each time it came for Judgement Day to begin again, the stakes were higher yet this time due to the unexpected and unwelcome presence of Nigel and Sherrod.

Having been absorbed by these thoughts, Torian looked up to discover that he had arrived at Hollow Stump. It stood in the center of a large opening within the trees, surrounded by lush green grass, tall wildflowers, and spotted yellow mushrooms. Hundreds of fairies surrounded the stump: some sitting under the mushrooms, accepting their shade from the sun, others resting their backs against the thick stalks of the wildflowers.

A few of them even carried large packs on their backs which made it apparent they had traveled from the outskirts of the territory to be here today, their clothes and faces dusty from traveling along the forest floor. Torian thanked several of them for coming so far as he made his way towards the double doors of the stump, earning tired, mumbled words in return.

Reaching the doors, Torian grunted in acknowledgement to the guards on either side as he shuffled past. His eyes took a moment to adjust to the sudden change in light from the joyful morning sun outside to the serious lighting of the room surrounding him. He took several deep breaths, the smell of pine filling his nostrils and bringing a sense of temporary calmness upon him.

The walls of the tree had been carved into three sections of stadium seats and sconces lined the upper corners of the walls. In the center of the ceiling was a large hole, causing the sunlight to form a natural spotlight. In front of the middle section of seating was a bench that stood out from the rest, a counter in front of it.

Striding forward, Torian positioned himself in the center of the bench and adjusted his cape to fall behind him. "Guards. You may begin letting people in," his voice echoed throughout the empty belly of the tree.

The first in was a tall man, widely built with a dark brown beard that grazed along the floor as he approached. Grey nose hair peeked out from the end of his long nose. "This promises to be an eventful Judgement Day, aye Torian?"