His Always, Her Forever

Annika was smoothing her hands over the front of her lehenga for what must be the hundredth time when Gauri approached, gently taking her hand. Gauri had been at her side since last night, keeping her mind from over-worrying and succumbing entirely to panic.

"I've never seen you this nervous" Gauri teased, doing her best to lighten the mood.

"I don't think I have ever been this nervous" Annika replied, squeezing her Sister's hand.

"I can't imagine why" Gauri scoffed. "It's not like he's not going to show up. From what Omkara said, he's been checking the time every two minutes."

"It isn't that" Annika shook her head slightly. "It's just...we had never thought that this would happen for us."

"In his defense I am fairly certain he didn't think you'd actually say 'yes' when he proposed, with all your fake dating business" Gauri smirked. "He still looks at you as if you'd vanish any moment."

"I know, but I'm not going anywhere" Annika said sadly, her mind replaying memories of the last month, every milestone that had gotten them to this point in time. They'd had their ups and downs, their arguments and their celebrations, but every second was worth it. Gauri's attention was pulled away for a second and when she turned back to Annika she gave her hand a gentle tug.

"He's at the door," Gauri explained. "I guess he's refusing to leave until he can talk with you."

"Alright" Annika exhaled and crossed to the door, careful not to step too far lest he see her before it was time. "Shivaay, is everything alright?"

"Of course" he sounded relieved that she had come to talk with him, his voice soft and deep. "I just...I just wanted a moment."

"Just a moment?" she smiled, leaning forward to rest her forehead to the cool wood of the door. The ancient hotel at Udaipur was too picturesque to not be a part of their wedding day and Annika was all the more grateful for it.

"Just a moment" he repeated, his hand appearing at the edge of the door. She took it without hesitation, their fingers twining together as they always did and she imagined that he was resting his head against the door just as she was. She heard his exhale of relief, hand squeezing hers tightly.

"I'm here" she promised, knowing that even though he had come a long way since they first met, Shivaay still struggled with expressing his emotions openly. Gauri was not too far from the truth when she said that Shivaay was not sure that Annika would say 'yes' when he finally proposed. After the not so cliché romance that they had experienced it was a miracle that they were standing here today ready to tie the knot.

"You know when I knew that I wanted to marry you?" he asked, his thumb tracing over her knuckles idly.

"When?" she smiled even though he couldn't see her.

"We were at some market in Goa and you stopped to smell soaps at one of the stalls and I..." he took a ragged breath. "I watched you and you looked so unbelievably beautiful, at complete and utter peace. I couldn't look away. I promised myself that if you would have me, I would spend the rest of my life ensuring that that peace never left you."

"Shivaay" Annika closed her eyes tightly, tears running down her cheeks making her eternally grateful for waterproof makeup. Now she knew why the candid photo he'd taken of her at that very market was his phone wallpaper. He had captured that moment forever and looked at it everyday. This man--her man, was incredible. She felt the warmth of his lips pressing against her knuckles, lingering there for several seconds.

"I love you," he said softly.

"I love you too" she gave a watery laugh. "In a few minutes I will finally be your wife."