THE PAST (FEW YEARS AGO)

Annika woke startled in the midnight by hearing the beaming voices of all her family members. Viren was standing with a cake covered in chocolate sauce, Jeevika next to him with a birthday hat and pom poms, next to her was Sahil who was holding a handmade greeting card and chacha and chachi were holding a big banner with Happy 21st Birthday to our Darling Annika written over it and the best part of all her cousin Gauri was standing with the same hat as Jeevika with gifts in her hands. All of them singing "Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to dear Annika! Happy Birthday to you!"

She felt so elated and overwhelmed from all the love and blessings her family shared with her. It was her 21st Birthday, and like every year this year too her family was the first to wish her. It was no secret to people that knew her that she was the pampered kid of her house, the one who held everybody's attention, the one who could make anyone do anything with just a flick of her fingers. She was always showered such kind of love by the people who loved her and hence her birthday's were always celebrated like it was a festival, a day which everyone was thankful for.

Today too she felt the same giddiness that she always felt, of being special, of being loved and cherished. She was ever so grateful to god that she was a part of such a loving and caring family, the one where she was appreciated for who she was and who always had her back. Getting up from bed in excitement and revealing the vibrant dress she wore underneath her blankets (as she was sure that they would wish her at midnight like every year) she cut the delicious cake and fed the pieces to each of them.

Collecting all her gifts from each of them she basked in the glory of turning 21. Excitedly she tore through each of the presents one by one and glee with happiness by seeing all that she wanted for her birthday present. They all knew her too well, seeing as she got exactly what she was hoping for. Thanking her family she went back to bed to enter another land filled with her dreams.

The bright rays of the morning Sun and the chirping of little sparrows on her window panes woke her up. Giddily she woke from her peaceful slumber and got ready in a beautiful pastel kurta set. As was there tradition she and Gauri after having a mouth watering breakfast with all her favourite dishes went to Siddhi Vinayak temple, to seek blessings from lord Ganesha on the occasion of her birthday. Performing the Poojan the cousins than went to shopping in order to buy dresses for the clubbing they were about to do in evening.

As Annika was officially allowed to drink they had decided that they were going to get drunk as hell and enjoy her freedom to the fullest

As Annika was officially allowed to drink they had decided that they were going to get drunk as hell and enjoy her freedom to the fullest. Gauri and Annika were same aged and hence they had a bond which was exemplary. They both could understand each other very well, words weren't required in their relationship as they could read each other's faces. They were cousins but behaved more like twin sisters, their family used to joke that when they would grow up they should be married in the same family so that no fights will occur and they wouldn't miss each other the most.

Even their hobbies were similar like posing and capturing each others pictures, dancing, shopping, reading and baking. Their souls were bound in such a manner that nobody in their wildest dreams would ever think of separating the two. Looking at them even strangers would have felt that they were sisters, they could do anything for the other, fight with anyone for the other and even give their most priced possession to other in a heartbeat.