THREE

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚 :
ONE MINUTE ALONE AND YOU TAKE A BATH?

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

IT WAS EARLY in the morning when she awoke and got ready for the day. It was a big one after all. Mr. and Mrs. Heelshire were leaving for their trip.

     She was fixing her shirt in the mirror, when through her half-awake mind, she heard Mrs. Heelshire's muffled shouts through the wall, "No! How could you? What have you done? Wait till I tell daddy."

(F/N) quickly opened her door, looking into Brahms room which was...a mess. Inside was Mrs. Heelshire, kneeling in front of Brahms and holding his face with her shaking hands, speaking in a scolding manner, "Mommy must go now. You have to be a good boy. Because you promised us."

(F/N) looked over the toys that were cluttering the floor. It appeared as though a child had come in and thrown a tantrum. Her eyes moved to the unmoving doll, gaze still as empty as ever. There was no child in that room. Had Mrs. Heelshire thrown the fit herself? Mr. Heelshire? Who else could have done it?

Suddenly Greta was beside (F/N), whispering in her ears, "What's going on?" She too looked into the room, her breath hitching once she had. It was a wreck.

(F/N) was unsure of what to say, so she simply motioned to the chaotic scene in front of them.

     "I apologize for the rush, Miss Evans." Both sisters jumped at Mr. Heelshire's voice as it appeared right behind them. They turned to the skittish-appearing man, "It's been so long since we've been on holiday and were anxious to be off." He began to bring them down the hall by entrapping them in conversation.

The two sisters followed them quietly, taking in his words. (F/N) wondered why the couple seemed so off compared to yesterday. Mr. Heelshire had always been a bit jittery in his quiet nature but even the Missus was shaking a bit as she cradled the doll's face. (F/N) wondered if the older woman was still holding the doll's face, scolding it.

     "Besides Brahms seems so... so fond of you. I only wish we had an opportunity to—to explain to you the idiosyncrasy of a child as unique as our Brahms. But, you'll figure them out by now. I'm sure." He pulled out a paper that was folded in his pocket, handing it over to Greta who was closer to him, "While simply to help you along. A schedule. With rules."

     "Mrs. Heelshire she was kind enough to write one out, you see." Mr. Heelshire swallowed, his voice growing serious, "Now, may seem a bit silly, but it is important that you...follow them because Brahms is not like other children. He can be... particular. I'm afraid we may have indulged him a bit over the years."

(F/N)'s eyebrows furrowed. They'd indulged the doll? How was that possible?

Mr. Heelshire left the room without a word more, presumably still having things to pack. Greta was still watching the doorway meanwhile (F/N) made her way around the girl, "I wanna see." She took the neatly folded note from Greta's hand and opened it, reading the small print.

     Rules.
     1. No Guests.
     2. Never Leave Brahms Alone.
     3. Save Meals in Freezer.
     4. Never Cover Brahms Face.
     5. Read Brahms A Bedtime Story.
     6. Play Music Loud.
     7. Clean the Traps Daily.
     8. Only Malcolm brings deliveries.
     9. Brahms is never to leave.
     10. Kiss Brahms Goodnight.