Chapter 3 - I Will Protect You

Start from the beginning

"Right..." Barry says.

"I will leave you to think about it for now," Daren says, noticing that Barry wasn't going to answer. "Now Kate, do you have any weakness against any particular kind of magic?"

"Yes," she answers simply.

"But you don't plan on telling us."

"I do not."

"Suit yourself. Well, if we don't need anything else to discuss for now, it's time for bed. Barry and I will take the first watch. Come on Barry!"

Daren picks Barry and walks towards the outside of the mountain. They climb it, finding a good place to take watch and make sure nothing is coming their way. Daren then begins to tell Barry stories of his travels. How he killed a giant, ended a plague, and destroyed a green wyvern. Daren then begins to explain his feelings regarding the previous day.

"No matter where I go, the strong oppresses the weak. People are always dying of starvation, plagues, wars, or some monster intervention. I've seen death all my life. But I never got used to it. Seeing all those dead bodies just lying there, lifeless, yesterday... my chest ached. I could see the suffering and the fear all of them went through. But, what about you Barry? How did you feel when you saw all those dead people?"

Barry stays silent and looks up at the stars in the night sky.

"I don't like seeing dead people, Daren," answers Barry. "That's part of the reason I don't like using my powers. I can't control them, and that means that people are in danger by just being near me."

"Don't beat yourself up too much, my friend," Daren says, patting him in the back. "You know, when I heard about this tournament, my first thought was that finally, after a lifetime of good deeds, after a life of trying to make a difference, fate was sending me a message. I've tried so hard to save the world from its misery, but no matter how hard I tried, my efforts were never enough. But with the Magium... maybe I might have a chance."

Daren then turns towards Barry, who smiles at him.

"Heh, I'll do my best to help you on your journey, but don't think that I'll make it easy for you," says Barry. "Even if you are only after the Magium, I will try my best to win this tournament."

"That's what I wanted to hear!" Daren says enthusiastically. "Can't wait for our friendly competition to start..."

Then silence falls between the two men.

"So, how are things going on with Kate?" Asks Daren with a mischievous smile.

"What do you mean?" Asks Barry confused.

"You know, getting her to fall for you and all," Daren says while making a heart shape with his hands.

"For the gods no, Daren!" Answers Barry. "I didn't come to find her just to make her-"

"Find her?" Daren asks suspiciously. "Are you telling me that the reason you came here, risking your life in this tournament, was all for a banshee?"

"She isn't a banshee Daren," Barry says, scratching his head. "It's a long story, and... I'd rather not talk about it right now."

"I see..." Daren says, sitting straight. "Look Barry, I trust you. Whatever you say about Kate, I'll go along with it, but just in case, take this."

Daren then proceeds to give a small device to Barry. A magical transceiver.

"I know I said I trust you, but I still have my doubts about your judgement. I want you to carry this with you at all times. If you are ever in danger, and you need my help, just tap this device three times and I'll drop everything to help you."