Chapter 2 - The Woman In The Green Robe

Barry and Daren turn around, and there, a woman stands. She had a slim build, long black hair, fair skin, and a cold look on her face. She was wearing leather pants, a long sleeved white blouse, and a green hooded cloak. She appears to be in her early twenties, yet there is something strange about her.

Barry had sensed it almost instantly... This woman is a mage...

"Wait... Is it really her?" He thinks. "Did she really just walk up to me? Did I really get that lucky?"

But his thoughts are interrupted, as Daren whispers to his ears something that sends shivers down his spine.

"Don't worry Barry, I know white magic. I can purify her."

Knowing that the purification method would only kill the woman, Barry instantly rejects the idea.

"Listen to me, Daren!" He whispers. "She isn't a banshee!"

Daren stands perplexed at Barry's comment. There was no way a woman could be born a mage. Only banshees could give them powers. There hadn't been a single human female mage in ages.

"So what, are you suggesting she's a mage, then? Barry, women can't be born as mages. There hasn't been a single recorded case of a woman mage in all of our world's history. Everytime a woman's developed magical abilities, it's been because of a banshee. Every single time."

"You think I don't know that?!" Barry thinks. "But this isn't the case!"

"She's different Daren, trust me. I know the difference, I've met a banshee up close. Have you met a banshee before Daren?"

"...no," Daren admits.

"Look, you trust me enough to tell me your greatest weakness, so I'm asking you to trust me on this too... Please, trust me on this, Daren."

Daren takes a long look at Barry, then he lets out a deep sigh.

"Fine," Daren says, letting go of his argument. "Just know that I'll be watching her."

"Thank you," says Barry, relief filling his voice. "You won't regret-"

"Would you guys mind telling me what you've been whispering about for the past minute?" The woman asks, approaching the two.

"Oh, uh, we were just finishing our discussion from earlier." Barry tells her, trying to sound calm.

The woman eyes Barry suspiciously. She doesn't appear to believe him. She stares at Barry for a few seconds. Their eyes meet, and Barry notices something. Her eyes are deep, cold, and ruthless, like those of a wild animal. He also notices that she is somewhat tense in his presence.

The way she straightened her back, her stiff shoulders, even her voice. She clearly doesn't trust him, and is letting her guard up. After a few moments, she drops the subject and addresses Daren.

"You didn't answer my question. Are you Daren, the healer in armor?"

"I am, indeed," answers Daren. "What business would you have with me?"

Barry closely observes the woman.

"Does she recognize me?" He thinks. "Would she accept me and allow me to travel with her? Would she just leave after finding out it's me? Will she even remember me? She's been there when it happened... if they ever continued with the experiments after I escaped... please be one of those two..."

"I... require an escort. I am not certain I can survive this tournament by myself. And I've heard of all your deeds of valor and all your legends, so I thought that maybe..."