Chapter 0 - Barry

On a dark and rainy day, a boy stands before a burning building, housing a creature with a threatening aura. That which stands before him, that "thing", used to be his sister. At her feet are the corpses of his mother and father, and behind him was his younger brother, cowering behind him for safety.

"Claire... I don't want to do this..." He says to the monster who stole his sister's body. But all she responded with was snarls and a grin, as her eyes glowed brightly with a vibrant red color. The boy stood tall, and got into a fighting stance, but there were hints of hesitation in the way he stood. He was trembling slightly, and his eyes showed that he was unsure of himself. He couldn't take hold of the resolve to do this act, but he knows what he has to do.

As the monster that stands before him creates a fireball, and readies herself for an attack, the boy responds by preparing a spell of his own. The monster lunged at the boy, and got ready to attack, and at that moment, a man sleeping in his bed woke up from that nightmare.

He breathes heavily, as he looks around the room, and takes in the dream he just had.

"Again, huh..." He thinks to himself, as he gets out of bed, and spreads the curtains open, letting the sun in. He gets ready to start his day, and looks over at some things by his desk. On it is a busted trinket, now being used as both a paper weight and a good luck charm. He picks it up, and puts it in his pocket, along with some other things he plans to take with him.

He picks up the flier he saw a few days ago, now being kept on his desk. The flier advertised an upcoming tournament, being held in a place called Varathia. The details of which mention giving the winner residence in Varathia, and access to the Magium, which is known as the Source Of All Magic. He packs a bag with all the things he prepared to get ready for this tournament. His notebook, where he keeps all his notes and some research, something he hopes to further develop on his travels. His busted trinket, which he keeps close to himself at all times. A magic device he had been working on for a while, an Aura Disruptor, which he plans to use in the event that he needs to use stealth. And last of all, his trusty Staff, made with Elven Steel.

These items, along with other essentials, like rations and first aid, were packed into his bag, which he then brought with him to the outside. Today is the day of the Magium Tournament, in which the contestants will be transported via teleporter, one of the inventions only found in Varathia.

He takes a deep breath, and takes one last look at his home. He takes it all in, and with a determined look on his face, makes a promise to himself.

"Kate... If you're still out there... I swear... I will find you... And I will protect you..."

He closes the door, and heads out to Varathia.