chapter 4

Tears blurred my eyes. My hand itched to text Nick. I stared at the wall, trying to focus on the music. Not the blade that was sitting there. Waiting. Mocking me.
    My phone lit up and I looked over. Incoming message from Nick. I unlocked my phone and looked at the message.
    (Nick is italics, you are bold)
    Hey, how are you?
    My hand hovered over the keyboard. I shouldn't burden him.
    I'm good! Thanks for asking☺️ hru?
    I'm doing alright 👍
    I was actually wondering. Do u wanna hang out this weekend? You could come over to Ri's house
    Yeah!!! That sounds fun!!!
    Saturday work?
    Yep!!
    Awesome!!! Can't wait ☺️
    Incoming call from nick_nzzzz.official
    "Hello," I said as I answered the phone.
    "Hi, are you okay? You sounds choked up. Is something bothering you?"
    "Yeah, I'm alright Nick. Don't worry, just a little tired is all,"
    "Okay…"

    Saturday rolled around and I got excited. I have a bunch of things planned for us. Riley ended up deciding to join us and he invited Charlie.
    Riley and I were sitting on the couch together when we heard a knock. We got up to race to the door. I tried going over the back of the couch but tripped.
    "Owwwww," I dragged out as Riley just pointed and laughed as he was opening the door.
    Nick and Charlie walked in and looked at me funny.
    I raised my hand from my spot on the floor. "Hi guys,"
    Nick laughed but held his hand out to help me up. I grabbed it but barely used it to help, I was too heavy.
    Nick noticed and looked at me confused but brushed it off. It was now that I noticed Nick was holding bags.
    "Come on, up we go," I said and done up the stairs. The boys following closely behind. I went into my room and closed the door after the boys entered after me.
    "Okay, we can do movies, games, face masks, prank calls, whatever sounds fun," I listed.
    "Facemasks," Riley and Charlie said in unison. They looked at each other in shock and laughed. I gathered the stuff and handed each of them headbands.
    Riley got a frog one, Charlie got a pig, Nick got a bunny, and I got the cow. I handed them my box of skin care and let them pick their masks. We all ended up choosing sheet masks because they're so much easier.
    Riley and Charlie were having their own conversation as I was helping Nick with his headband and mask.
    "Ow, it's cold," Nick whined as I put the mask on his face and I laughed. He looked at me with a smile.
    "You baby," I said and he pouted.
    "I brought snacks," Nick announced and Riley cheered. They rummaged in the sacks and picked out what they wanted. Nick looked at me, offering me some.
    I shook my head, "No, I'm not hungry, I ate before y'all came,"
    Riley furrowed his eyebrows, "You did? I didn't see you grab anything from the kitchen,"
    "Yes, Riley, I did. You're just too occupied texting Charlie to notice," Charlie went red under his face mask and Riley stuck his tongue out at me. He cringed and put his tongue back at the taste of the mask. We all laughed.
    After fifteen minutes we took our masks off and moisturized our faces. We decided to watch movies and I forced everyone to have a Harry Potter marathon with me.
    By the third movie Riley and Charlie were out, Charlies head on Rileys shoulder. And Rileys head resting gently upon Charlies curls. Both their back resting against the foot of my bed.
    Nick was leaning against the wall with me at the head of the bed. His head dropping at times, but coming right back up. I could tell he was tired.
    Halfway through the movie I felt a light weight drop onto my shoulder. I looked over and smiled at Nicks sleeping form. I turned off the movie and rested my head on top of Nicks.
    I felt safe. But I missed my parents so much. They had helped me through so much with what happened. They were the only ones who were there for me. I've told them about Nick. Mom's excited whereas dad seems weary, but happy I'm happy.
    I really like Nick. I can't deny it. I'd be delusional if I thought I didn't like him. He's just so sweet. And he doesn't judge me for my flaws. But deep down I know I can never be good enough for him.
    Somebody as perfect as him, could never love a scarred freak like me.

5/15/22