𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐎 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒 → 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐂

Start from the beginning

It wasn't used to entering this room with Sonic. It was used to doing this with (Y/n), because neither her nor Sonic himself could remember the last time the blue speedster agreed to give the little guy a bath.

Sonic crouched beside the chao, leaning across the bathtub and activating the taps to suffuse the large container with water. The liquid shimmered in reflection to the evening light, Sonic reluctantly brushing his gloved fingers against the glassy surface to test the temperature.

He winced a little at the soggy touch, aversely keeping his hand inside as he knew he couldn't allow the chao to freeze or burn. It had to be just right.

It was. It was warm. Refreshingly warm. He could feel it as it soaked through his gloves leaving a partially grey stain before he flicked the droplets back into the tub.

It filled up quickly, the sound of the water freely flowing from the tap and crashing into the rest of the sea imitating a waterfall. Curiously, the chao tipped its head to the side as it could hear the movement of the water but see nothing but the side of the tub and the back of Sonic's body as it curved over.

It was another alteration to its routine. (Y/n) would normally hold it and comfort it while the bath filled up. It would normally be able to see the crystal clear liquid flowing into the tub. But tonight it couldn't.

Sonic reached for a bottle balanced beside the ivory wall to add the fragrance and softness of bubbles to the water. He flipped it open, squeezing it just for a few seconds. But it was enough to add the innocent scent of coconut and tender texture of foam to the bath.

Sonic allowed the water to fill up for about another minute, flicking the top of the glistening silver tap to stop the flow as it reached the depth he pleased. He added the bottle back to the collection decorating the edge of the tub before reluctantly pressing his hand to the water once again.

He allowed his fingers to touch the bed of the bath tub, pressing them down until they spread out like the legs of a spider. He groaned at the soggy sensation, but he knew he needed to check the temperature just once more and measure the depth.

Sonic flicked his fingers vigorously to the side again, only just removing the water before turning to scoop up the chao, who he could hear was becoming impatient.

The bright blue creature squeaked in a little surprise from the sudden dampened touch, but gripping tighter to Sonic's shoulders once seeing the effervescent water below. Sonic soothed its tense back with the rub of a hand, fingers carefully caressing the cracks between its delicate pale pink wings.

"Don't worry, buddy. It's okay." Sonic smiled, to relieve both himself and the quivering chao.

He held it under its soft armpits, lowering its spherical feet into the water to ease it in. The chao squeaked a little, but soon enough Sonic felt the pull from it as it eagerly kicked its legs into the mountains of bubbles with a delighted "chao".

Sonic chuckled at its childish approval, lowering it further into the bubbles as the tender scent of coconut soothed his moist nostrils. The chao soon slipped from his grip and independently drifted into the water.

Sonic rested his arms across the edge of the bath with his chin balanced atop, watching the sudden change in the innocent creature's attitude like it had instantly remembered the comfort of bath time.

It floated within the bubbles regarding its immeasurable weight, like a feather drifting across the surface of a pond or a strand of seaweed bobbing along an ocean wave.

The chao wiggled its bright yellow feet that resembled ovals to kick itself back towards the edge of the tub that Sonic's gloved fingers drooped beside. It kept itself still save its hands as they flapped up and down to innocently splash the beautifully scented water. Sonic chuckled as the overjoyed creature gave a squeal of pleasure as the purely white bubbles surrounded it like a scenery of hills stretching for miles.

"Time for a wash, buddy." Sonic stated, hesitantly leaning towards the chao, now fully distracted by the interest in the foamy spheres that combined into mounds around it as they glistened with all colours of the rainbow in the lowering sunlight.

Sonic slowly scooped up some bubbles, the smooth texture rubbing against the chao's back to begin with before massaging its silky torso. He smiled warmly in response to its happy squeaks as its hands and feet continued to slice into the bubbles with every rise and fall of its stumpy limbs.

Sonic hummed as he moved onto its arms and toes, kneading the silky sparkles of pink and purple and blue foam that glimmered in the sunset glow. He finished perfectly with a tickle to the tip of the chao's head after brushing some bubbles across its spherical face accompanied with further delighted giggles.

The soothing touch of the chao's body and delicate fragrance of tropical coconut seemed to lead Sonic to forget his discomfort of water, the view of the creature's enjoyment showing him that it's not always that bad...

Sonic slipped the plug from the bottom of the tub, allowing the water to swirl away much to the chao's dismay. It squealed in disappointment as Sonic reached for the slate grey towel beside his crimson toes, the silky material dampened by the water as Sonic enveloped the tiny chao into it.

He raised the disheartened chao from the depths of the disappearing water, the final glints of evening light sparkling a final time against the final dribbles. Sonic held the chao like a newborn bundle of joy, bouncing the squeaking creature up and down with more soothing sshh.

Sonic rubbed the towel like he was awakening a puppy that had just been welcomed to the world. The chao wrapped within squealed to receive further reassuring whispers, soon calming down from the tender rubbing sensation and eventual dryness to his strangely soft blue body.

(Y/n) overheard the squeaks of her beloved chao from the opposite side of the door as she headed up the staircase. Her fast paced steps became slower as a smile crept across her previously worried expression.

She pressed an ear to the door, sweeping her (h/c) hair aside to obtain the clearest sound. She could just about hear the giggles of her chao and Sonic's soothing breaths.

They seemed to heat up her chest and bring a fizzing of contentment to her own stomach, although the whispers of reassurance weren't aimed at herself.

(Y/n) carefully pressed the silky wood, a slither of resting sunlight becoming visible as the door cracked open. Sonic smirked at her presence without taking his viridescent orbs away from the settled chao buried in his hold.

She smiled further, slowly approaching and sliding her arms to Sonic's shoulders. Her fingers connected like puzzle pieces across his chest, head resting to the crook of his neck that leant aside.

(Y/n) observed the chao buried in the bundle of grey blanket, slightly damp and slightly ruffled. Its deep blue eyes became gently closed as it snuggled into the warmth of Sonic's arms, the hedgehog smiling back with a sense of pride.

A sense of achievement. It felt different, and maybe more significant, to this feeling when on the battlefield and saving the planet from disaster.

It felt more of a personal achievement.

And it brought a beautiful sense of warmth to his chest that he wasn't sure he'd quite felt before.

(Y/n) smiled deeply into Sonic's calm shoulder, taking a relaxed breath and soaking in the tropical fragrance that remained in the air. She watched as the tiny chao's chest rose and fell gracefully, the floating ball above its head that seemed to resemble a fresh lemon forming a heart shape as it rocked side to side.

"Should I take it from here?"

Sonic chuckled, finger becoming gripped by the chao's moistened hands once more, feeling its perfect rhythm of breaths radiate the sense of content slumber.

He turned to (Y/n), noticing her admiring the affectionate stance as a sweet kiss met his cheek.

"Nah, I think I've got the hang of it..."

💙