Dawn of the Akatsuki

Outskirts of Amegakure After the End of the Third Great Shinobi War
************************************************

Rain poured down relentlessly onto the scorched and muddy battlefield, causing small torrents of water to rush over the feet of the group of black cloaked shinobi.

"Hanzo today your tyranny ends, and with it we avenge our fallen brothers and sisters!" A blue haired kunoichi yelled as she stepped forward, levitating slightly as her lower body pulled itself apart into a swirling vortex of small strips of paper.

A bone-chilling, metallic cackle echoed across the plane, emanating from the heavily scarred man with a metal gas mask standing atop a giant salamander summon. "We shall see about that, worms!" The warlord growled as he leapt forwards towards the rebels who immediately scattered to avoid getting caught in the powerful attack.

"Stay back! This fight is MINE." A red headed ninja with eerie grayish-lavender rippled eyes shouted through clenched teeth. He lifted his arms and screamed, "SHINRA TENSEI."

'Nagato...' Konan, the paper kekkei-genkai wielding kunoichi thought to herself with worry. Although she was still grieving over the death of their childhood friend, Yahiko, she felt that Nagato had begun to lose himself in a spiral of hatred and revenge. She could only hope that killing Hanzo and restoring peace to their homeland will be enough to wake up her friend-turned-lover.

Everyone braced themselves as their cloaks billowed violently from the rush of wind that flew past them towards the salamander. Soil, kunai and fallen Ame chuunin were sent flying at Hanzo and his summon, pushing the warlord back and destabilizing his stance.

Taking this opportunity, the rest of the elite rebel forces unleashed a barrage of B and A ranked elemental jutsu at their enemy as the fight truly began.

Around an Hour Later

Hanzo, pulled himself shakily back to his feet, slouching forward slightly as he tore off his mask with one hand, tossing it away. His salamander been defeated and de-summoned some time ago and he knew he was running out of steam. But he wasn't the only one. The old veteran smirked through heavy breaths as he watched the one of the last rebels fall lifelessly face first into the mud with a damp splash. Now only Konan, Nagato and Hanzo remained standing.

'This isn't good. I'm almost out of chakra. If I use much more then my paper clone will dispel and Nagato will get suspicious.' Konan worried to herself as she gauged her options for the rest of the fight.

What she didn't count on was Nagato's next action. The tired ninja tried to lift both arms but his left fell limp next to his body. After a short moment of concentration with a one handed seal, another rinnegan wielding shadow clone appeared next to him. "Now this ends, you murderer. I will avenge Yahiko!" He exclaimed as his clone raised both arms and emotionlessly formed ten hand seals before stating "Reaper Death Seal."

Konan felt her heart sink as Hanzo's smirk fell and transitioned to a look of fear. "Nagato, no! Please you can't do this!" She screamed as tears began to form in her eyes.

A shinigami emerged from a portal between the two ninja and reaped both of their souls with a large scythe. Both of them began to sink to their knees with strained faces and gritted teeth.

"I'm not.. done.. just yet!" Nagato managed to gasp out as his clone said one last thing before dispersing, "Naraka Path."

Nagato's soul was ripped off the end of the shinigami's scythe, much to its surprise, and began to fly back towards the red headed ninja's nearly limp body. However, the shinigami turned around and swung its scythe again, managing to cut his soul in two. Half his soul returned to his body and the other was devoured by the shinigami as it returned through its closing portal.