Music for happiness

Start from the beginning

He played the music as he was more shocked than before or more like proud.

"!!"

"Did you really make this all by yourself?" Kanade's Father said and still has a shocked face.

"Yeah. I only worked on it a little while I was taking breaks from studying, though, so it's not that good." Young Kanade said with a sad smile.

"...." Kanade's Father then smiled at her.

"You really are amazing, Kanade. You have such a gift, Kanade. You've really been blessed by music." Kanade's Father said.

"Huh? I don't know about that... Hehe. Are you feeling a little better?" Young Kanade asked.

"......... Yes, I am. Kanade." Kanade's Father said.

"Hm?" Young Kanade hummed with a happy smile.

"Kanade, make sure you keep creating your own music. I'm sure there will be many people who enjoy listening to your music. They're going to need you." Kanade's Father said.

"Dad?" Young Kanade said as she was curious.

Later Morning

"Dad, it's morning. If you don't wake up soon... Huh?" She stopped as she look at her father who is passed out on the floor.

"Dad!"

- Hospital -

"Your father seems to be suffering from overwork. It's affecting his ability to remember things. Thankfully, there's no danger to his mind or body. This sort of thing is a result of psychological stress. With a little rest, most people recover within a few days, but..." The doctor said but then got cutted off by young Kanade.

"There are people who don't recover?" Young Kanade said.

"I'm afraid so. They're still able to function day to day, however they have difficulty remembering things properly." The doctor said.

"...."

- Kanade's Father's Room -

"What am I supposed to do now? Dad..." Young Kanade said then saw a book.

"Hm? Is this Dad's diary?" Young Kanade said as she opened the diary.

"...."

[Father's Diary]: <7th - I responded to the client's claim that my music sounded too old-fashioned, Still, I can't keep clinging to the same old style forever.>

"It looks like he was using it for notes about work." Young Kanade said.

[Father's Diary]: <23rd - I'm finally getting used to working with the computer, but I'm still far from mastering all the different functions. I still have a lot to learn.>

[Father's Diary]: <14th - Kanade helped with the arrangement I was having trouble with. To be honest, I was really surprised. She might have a gift for this.>

[Father's Diary]: <30th - I won the competition, but I'm finding it hard to celebrate.>

"Huh? Why?" Young Kanade said.

[Father's Diary]: <The only part they really liked was the section Kanade made. That's her music, not mine.>

[Father's Diary]: <22nd - I've been getting more work since the commercial started airing, but the clients all want something similar to it. I keep telling them I can't, but they insist.>

"Oh..." Young Kanade said with a hint of sorrow.

Flashback 2x

"And I'm saying it's not possible!"

Flashback 1x

[Father's Diary]: <They all laugh at how old-fashioned my music sounds, despite the commercial piece being so well polished. What am I missing?>

[Father's Diary]: <8th - Kanade gave me a song she made.>

"O—Oh..." Kanade said.

[Father's Diary]: <I finally realized what my music is missing. Why everyone says it sounds so outdated. The music I'm making is all just a cheap imitation of songs I've heard in the past. But Kanade's is different. Her music has the ability to touch the hearts of the people of today. It's all feeling instead of logic. That isn't something I can imitate. And yet I have to keep writing music. I need to make a living so I can take care of Kanade. But is that really the kind of music I want to write? The kind that can make people happy? I wonder if Kanade can make music like that. I may not be able to, but she might..."

"Dad..." Young Kanade said as she trying to hold her tears.

"Have I been hurting him all this time? I... I never meant to! I was just..." Young Kanade said then she got angry.

She pushed everything that is near her. She kept pushing and pushing things as she cried.

"I hate this! I don't want it!" She cried as she kept knocking everything off.

"If only I'd never make that stupid song!" She said and didn't stop knocking things.

"*Huff*... *Huff*...  I'm sorry... Dad, I'm so sorry..." She said and continued cried.

Later

"...." Young Kanade has changed. Her beautiful ocean eyes turn into a dull one.

(I just want to disappear. I don't even feel hungry. I wonder if I can just disappear if I stop eating.) She thought and looked on the floor.

"Oh, mom's music box... I must have knocked it on the floor.

She picked up and played the song.

"Dad made this song. Such a gentle melody. Mom and I both loved this song... That Dad made..." Young Kanade said with no emotion in her voice then she remembered what her dad told her.

Flashback 2x

"Kanade, make sure you keep creating your own music.

Flashback 1x

"I've got to make more. All this happened to Dad because my songs couldn't bring happiness to anyone. I have to be able to write songs that will bring happiness to others." Young Kanade said.

"Songs that can save anyone. I must compose... I must compose..." She repeated.

"I... mustn't ever stop composing..."