S1 E10: Buffet Froid

Companion Song: "Somewhere a Clock is Ticking" – Snow Patrol

I've got this feeling that there's something that I missed

(I could do most anything to you)

Don't you breathe, don't you breathe

(I could do most anything to you)

Something happened that I never understood

(I could do most anything to you)

You can't leave, you can't leave

Every second dripping off my finger tips

(I could do most anything to you)

Season 1, Episode 10: Buffet Froid

This "cut unscene" occurs after Will and Jack track down Georgia Madchen's mother and bring her to the BSU. Will listens as Georgia's mother describes the toll her daughter's mental illness has taken, on not just Georgia's life, but the lives of all those around her. Will can't help but draw parallels to his own experiences. Jack speaks with Will afterward in his office, and admits that he is very concerned about what he's done to Will. He's worried he's going to lose Will like he lost Miriam Lass. Jack promises to be a "bedrock" foundation for Will so that he can cling to the stability working with the FBI in this capacity. "When you doubt yourself, you don't have to doubt me, too." This scene occurs the day after that conversation and the day before Hannibal has Dr. Sutcliffe over for Jamon Iberico.

Will hadn't thought he'd catch anything in the lake today, but proved himself wrong. He'd hauled up a good-sized brown trout after nearly losing it, so stiff and numb from sitting in the cold that his body had trouble responding to the bite on the line. He was warm now, from the thrill of reeling it in and plucking it from the water, as well as the exertion. It was one of his favorite feelings, this moment of triumph after a difficult wrangling.

As he hooked the fish over his shoulder, ready to go back to the house, he caught sight of movement across the lake. It was his neighbor, Karla, a no-nonsense woman with an outdated mullet-style haircut. He often saw her across the lake when she went on her walks. They were friendly; he'd asked her to let the dogs out a few times, and he'd been to her trailer to help trap a family of raccoons that had nested in the toolshed.

Will waved, then held up the fish. Karla didn't appear to notice him, sticking her hands in the pockets of her puffy blue parka and continuing her walk. He waved again when he thought she was looking in his direction. She seemed to turn and stare right through him, then disappeared into the barren woods.

The water was still, barely lapping at the shore, and the trees were motionless. Will realized that his ears were so full of silence they were ringing. He began to breathe faster, just to have something else to hear. A slithery dread constricted him. She didn't see me. She looked right through me. I am not here. I can't be seen because I have gone.

I'm dead.

Will took a shaky breath and set the twitching fish on the frozen ground at his feet. Hands trembling, he raised his wrist and checked his watch. "It's 2:48 pm. I'm in Wolf Trap, Virginia. My name is Will Graham." He forced himself to inhale and then exhale slowly. The air seemed to return to the lake, a breeze ruffling the dead leaves on the shore. "I'm not dead," he muttered to himself, slinging the fish over his shoulder. "I'm too fucking hungry to be dead."