S1 E8: Fromage

Companion Song: "That Sea, The Gambler" – Gregory Alan Isakov

"How I'd love to steer you straight into those waters / While those daunting clouds above began to pour / And when we're found, we'll kiss that ground / And roll around on that lovers floor... / The ocean is holding all the kings / And tossed aside the weary / The ocean holding everything / And tossed aside the weary.

Season 1, Episode 8: Fromage

This "cut unscene" occurs after Tobias tries to kill Will, then comes to Hannibal's office to kill Franklyn and confront Hannibal. He mentions that he killed officers that came after him, and Hannibal assumes Will is dead. They fight and Hannibal kills Tobias. When the FBI arrives on scene, Hannibal is relieved to see that Will is alive. This scene begins a couple of hours after the episode ends.

At last, the crime scene technicians finished with the evidence collection; they'd taken their pictures, lifted their prints, and gathered their samples. Someone from victims services escorted Hannibal into the restroom to get pictures of his injuries. When they returned to the office, Hannibal was fully dressed again, down to the neatly folded pocket square, cinched and buttoned up as though his suit protected him.

Will lingered at the scene. He'd spent most of the time talking to Jack, then helped the other agents interview a couple of potential witnesses that might have seen Tobias Budge enter Hannibal's office. They'd found Budge's car down the block and called in to have it towed for further evidence collection.

Now, it was getting late, or it felt that way — the winter darkness often disoriented Will, making it seem like more time had passed. "We'll be back tomorrow to finish up a few things," one of the techs told Will as she packed up her equipment. "We'll seal it off, so tell him not to come back in, okay?"

"Right." Will approached Hannibal, who had been watching the evidence collection with mild interest from his desk chair. "They're going to seal off the room."

"For how long?" Hannibal asked.

"I'm not sure, but probably no more than a day or two. Seems, ah, pretty cut and dried." Will rubbed his thumbnail against his lower lip, not meeting Hannibal's gaze.

"And then?"

"It'll be cleared, and you can use it again." Will put his hands in his pockets, unsure what else to do with them. "I, uh, I can get the number of a crime scene clean up crew, if you want. Jimmy knows a guy who–who's good."

"Thank you." Hannibal stood, picking up his appointment book to take with him. Will could tell by his gait as he walked towards the door that led into the waiting room that he was in pain; though the limp wasn't as pronounced as he'd thought it would be, considering Hannibal had been stabbed with a letter opener. Jack held the door open and he followed Will and Hannibal into the darkened foyer.

Jack rubbed his eyes a moment, then gave Hannibal a tired smile. "Dr. Lecter, I believe I speak on behalf of everyone at the BSU when I say we're glad you're all right. I'll call and check in tomorrow morning."

"Thank you, Jack. Goodnight."

Jack nodded, put on his hat, and turned toward the door. Will stood, frozen in place, physically unable to follow. It was as if he were tethered to Hannibal by some invisible chain. Jack opened the door, then turned back. "Will? You coming?"

"I-in a minute," Will stuttered.

"I'd like a moment of Will's time, if he's amenable," Hannibal said.