Finnegan Hastings. Naughty boy. I'm sure your parents loved that.

I chewed on my lip, seeing the ellipsis appear which signified he was typing.

My first one too. I reckon most parents would kick their kid out of the house. I got kicked back in.

I snorted, shaking my head to myself as another text came in.

Best part? We were caught by the headmaster.

The laugh that shook my chest was genuine as I quickly responded and started my car. Glancing at the time, I realized I should probably hurry up and get home. My eyes betrayed me, looking back over at my phone one last time in hopes to see it lighting up. As an act of self restraint, I went ahead and pulled out of the parking lot so any more schoolgirl behavior would be nothing more than a safety hazard.

When I pulled into our driveway, I was glad to see Em's Prius already there. I gave in, grabbing my phone. I'd asked Finn why he was in boarding school to begin with.

A story for another time. :) I've got to run. I'll text you later.

I put my phone back into my bag, making the short trek to the front door. Just as the door creaked open, Em came flying around the corner with a look of concern that was quickly replaced by relief.

"Whew, just you."

"Just me?" I teased, slamming it shut behind me. "You should feel blessed."

"Why are you home so early?"

"Long story," I muttered, eyeing her yoga pants and sports bra. Conflicting feelings of dread and hope washed over me. "Are you going to pilates?"

"Yes," she responded, eyeing me quizzically. "If you ask if you can come - "

"Can I?"

"Yes," she easily hummed, crossing her arms and leaning against the wall. Her eyebrows were furrowed as she eyed me curiously. "You know I love hanging out and I feel bad I've been with Bryce so much lately, but what is with this sudden interest in working out?"

I played dumb, walking to my room in hopes the subject would naturally be dropped. She followed.

"Not sudden."

"Rory we've known each other for over 10 years and I had never seen you workout besides PE," she retorted, raising her eyebrows at me. "Then all of a sudden, you're pushing to go every night this week."

I threw my bag on the bed before pulling my shirt over my head and tossing it aimlessly. I caught Em out of the corner of my eye sighing and picking it up off of the floor, folding it and setting it on my unmade bed.

"Can I ask you a question without you getting mad at me?"

Though I knew what was coming, I did my best to appear unfazed, "You can try."

I busied myself, looking through my drawers and digging through the tangles of clothes in search of a pair of bike shorts. I could feel Em watching me and knowing her so well, I knew she was rehearsing the question in her head before voicing it.

"Does this have anything to do with a certain British boy you've been talking to lately?"

I could picture Finn scowling at the use of boy.

"What? Why would it have anything to do with him?"

She gave me a look that made my skin crawl as I retrieved a pair of light grey shorts, setting them on top of my dresser as I tugged my jeans off.

"I'm just saying, if it does," I gave her a dirty look as she held her hands up defensively, continuing. "I'm not saying it does! But if it does, that's messed up and I know you know that."