Chapter 21

"Aw. Cheer up, Isen!" a male student with turquoise short hair said. "You know, some people would kill to be Wellston's Jack!"

Isen sat on a chair surrounded by a group of students with his arms crossed over his chest and his foot on his knee.

"Yeah, this is a huge accomplishment!" a girl with just longer than shoulder length dirty blonde hair replied. "It'll look so good on your resume and your university applications!"

"We should be celebrating!"

Isen buried his face in his hands. "There's nothing to celebrate. I've lost everything! I'm no longer a free spirit! I'm just another slave to the system!"

So dramatic, Remi thought.

"How the hell did I end up as a Royal? I'm not even in Wellston's top five," he whined.

Suddenly, the door banged open to reveal John standing in the doorway with Seraphina close behind him.

"John?! What's he doing here?"

Several minutes before, John stood outside the classroom where the Safe House was hosted with Sera next to him. He smoothed out his gelled hair and nervously adjusted his tie.

"Don't be so worried!" Seraphina laughed. "I will be there with you and Remi's inside with Isen currently."

He nodded but barely let out his last breath. "That doesn't mean anything except maybe they won't think I'll immediately attack them."

"I won against you." She smiled. "They will know they are safe."

"Uhhh... We drew and it very much looked like I won considering I was the one left conscious afterwards," he stated. "Or Headmaster Vaughn as he had to carry me off."

She punched him in the arm. "I won the true fight."

He smiled at her weakly.

"Let's go in."

"Uhh so..." Remi trailed off as her eyes scanned the room. "John approached me a little while ago asking if he could join the Safe House and I decided that he should be able to join as all of us have had the opportunity to join, even if beforehand other members held grudges against others. I think everyone should have an opportunity to join and then let it be decided."

"But he attacked the Safe House itself whilst it was running. Those other members didn't attack inside the Safe House and after they joined the Safe house," one student called out.

"And he didn't attack it for a month," she replied.

"That was during his suspension! He got suspended!"

"He's been back for a week."

As Seraphina followed him in, the fear in the crowd fizzled down at the sight of her, but there was still some hesitancy when they gathered at the edges of the room. He took a seat down at desk near the door and pulled out some homework.

Seraphina's eyes scanned the room where students slowly went back to what they did before, but on the other side of the room and without the same excitement. Then she looked at John and stared.

"Are you still on that homework?" she asked.

"Yes, it's hard." He scowled up at her and clutched his head in his hand. "What do you think?"