Chapter 2

A/N: For anyone wondering, the next few chapters are following relevant scenes to the webcomic with some changes, most more minor than others.

Seraphina didn't go to school the next day. She just couldn't find the energy to. Instead, the tears just kept coming.

There was a commotion outside and then a knock at the door.

Please just let that be Elaine.

Without waiting for a response, the door swung open.

"Hey, Sera. I came to check up on you," John said as he stepped into the room.

She turned around in the bed to sit up and look at him.

"I didn't see you at school today and you didn't answer any of my calls. Is everything okay?"

"I just have a lot on my mind," she replied through gritted teeth.

"Oh, well I'm here if you wanna talk about it!"

"No."

"How about we grab a drink then? Maybe getting up and moving around will help. We could go for a run, or I could teach you more ways to defend yourself?"

"Stop it," she said, looking away from him. "I just want time to myself right now."

"A-are you sure-?" he started, bringing one hand down in an arc.

"John. Please leave."

She looked down at her lap and he stared at them.

"A-alright then." He waved his hand and turned to leave. "Let me known when you're feeling better!"

His footsteps tapped on the floor as he left.

That was odd of him.

A few minutes later, Elaine walked in. She sat up on the bed, her legs hanging off the edge, and looked at her open palm in front of her.

"Seraphina?"

She clenched her fists together. She snatched up her pillow and threw it to the ground. It crashed with a poof.

"Seraphina! Please take it easy-!"

She stared at her, now on her feet. "Take it easy? Elaine, look at me. I'm pathetic! I have no ability. No influence. What good am I?"

She brought her hand to her chest in gesture to herself.

"All I do is still around all day and soak in stupid lies to feel better about myself! I'm sick of feeling useless!"

Elaine turned her head away. "I'm sorry."

She looked up to the ceiling. "You know. I really looked up to him. After I became powerless, I did everything I could to be like him. He made it look easy. So I thought if I simply followed his example then I wouldn't need to worry about anything either.

"But everything was a lie.

"I should have seen it coming, but I never thought someone would lie about that. I should have questioned would lie about that. I should have questioned more – it made little sense in the first place."

Tears streamed down her face.

"Seraphina!" Her eyes glanced to her wrist. "Please don't blame yourself for this! I could've told you at any time, but –."

"What kept you?"

"He..." She looked down. "John, he threatened me. I-I had to keep my mouth shut."