⠀⠀⠀𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊. warning shot

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀"Get off me, or I swear—"

⠀⠀⠀"Bianca, it's me!"

⠀⠀⠀"Oh, shit!" Bianca exclaimed.

⠀⠀⠀Cal's arms unlaced from where he had cradled her. His eyes were wide with the same panic she had felt, and he raised his hands so she could see both of them. She hated seeing him like this, fearing for his life after she had one bad reaction.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca hadn't slept well even before everything changed and now wasn't so different. During their stay at the prison, Bianca was definitely doing worse than when they were traveling around. She'd gone from one traumatizing experience to the next where she had only herself to blame. Sleeping with Cal had been the only time she'd gotten a moment away from the grief of Lori or the guilt from Tomas. And even then, she'd nearly killed him.

⠀⠀⠀"I'm sorry, it's just—" Bianca continued, fretting over him. She threw the knife around the cell to assure him she wouldn't lunge into another attack. "I haven't slept next to anyone in a while..." she explained meekly, dissolving into embarrassment as her shoulders hunched and an awkward, apologetic smile broke way.

⠀⠀⠀"I'd be upset, but honestly, I'm just happy to hear you haven't slept next to anyone else," Cal commented, smiling from ear to ear.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca stared at Cal. She wanted to laugh at him, but the words were too painful. How could he even think she would sleep with someone else? All those days, she was looking for ways to find him, knowing he was out there waiting for her. It seemed impossible to think she'd ever take a second look at another guy.

⠀⠀⠀"Hey," Cal said softly, the humor wiped from his face, and he lifted his hand to gently caress the side of her face. "I didn't mean it like that."

⠀⠀⠀Bianca smiled. His warm hand on her face. She was just so happy he was there with her. Her hand pressed his against her cheek, reminding her he was there and real and alive.

⠀⠀⠀"I know," Bianca whispered, her voice cracking slightly.

⠀⠀⠀"I apologize for interrupting," Hershel's kindly voice rung through their room.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca looked up to find the old man standing at the door with a knowing look as he stared at them. It was the same look he gave Maggie and Glenn.

⠀⠀⠀"But I would like to go over your injuries, Bianca," Hershel proceeded to explain, his warm expression turning toward concern.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca followed Hershel out of the cell and to the tables set up outside. Hershel sat down slowly, and Bianca was vehemently reminded that the old man had been through so much. They all had, but his was the most obvious. Bianca wasn't sure if that was good or bad to have the reminder that the mistakes he made were permanent. Bianca wondered if the death of Tomas or Lori was physically noticeable, like an arm missing, would the pain clawing through her chest be as easy to push back and try to forget.

⠀⠀⠀Hershel gave Bianca a kind smile once he settled and noticed she stood staring. He held his hand out for her to sit down across from him, and she followed.

⠀⠀⠀"Alright, I'm just gonna check and see if you've got any broken bones or anything," Hershel explained, touching her face where the bruises lay, then down toward her ribs.

⠀⠀⠀Bianca sat like a plank was strapped to her back. The feeling of Hershel's wrinkled fingers feathering across her skin made her grow anxious. Then, he finished and held another kind smile for her.

⠀⠀⠀"Nothing appears to be broken," Hershel stated, rubbing his hand against his pant leg. "How are you feeling? That is important, too."

⠀⠀⠀"I'm doing alright," Bianca said to him, but it wasn't convincing. She could tell by the disapproving look he gave her. She let out a small laugh. The look reminded her of when they had first spoken on the farm, and she was fighting to carry around a weapon on his farm.