Part 7

"To a great mind, nothing is little." ~ Sherlock Holmes

"A mysterious criminal is threatening to detonate a bomb somewhere in the city." Kunikida explained "Not only that, but they've launched a smear campaign against our agency."
We sat around a long table near the window, appearing somewhat like a war room in a military film. Gathered were me, Kunikida, Atsushi, Yosano, Kenji, Kirako, and Fukuzawa.
"Sounds like we're cop between a rock and a hard place. "Yasuno surmised "Do we have any useful leads on where the bomb might be?"
"Not a trace." I sighed "Aside from the letter, our little Blue target made sure not to leave any definable traces on the equipment in the office building."
"So he knows about our abilities." Yasuno muttered, "That certainly complicates things..."
"Do we know who this Azure Messenger is?" The President asked.
"Aside from an Azure King wannabe, we've got no clue," I replied with a wave of my hand.
"This bomb could ruin the agency." Yasunao sighed "It's specifically aimed at making us look bad. If we feel the stop it, all the blame and damage will fall on us instead of the terrorist."
"The bomb could be anywhere. We've got the office staff scouring the city to look for it, but there are just too many possibilities to check within the given time." Kirako said.
"I bet Ranpo could help," Kenji suggested.
I immediately felt my stomach twist into knots. I could already tell where this was going.
"Have we had any of getting in contact with him?" Kenji asked.
"He's still busy with the case in Kyushu." Kirako replied, "I've asked him repeatedly to call me back when he's done, but we need leads now."
"Question?" I asked "Are you sure we can't do this ourselves?  I mean, do we need Ranpo?"
The others looked at me, not finding my "joke" very funny.
"Damn it, fine." I huffed "But if he asks me to kiss up to him, I'm bookin'."
Most of the group gave exacerbated sighs as they refocused on the task at hand.
"Have we gotten any information from the taxi driver?" The President asked me.
"Nothing of any use." I said, "I've been grilling him for hours, but he's clueless about the bomb."
"Very well then, listen up. This is a cowardly attack. Someone is endangering lives simply to bring down this agency." The President stated "We have two objectives: uncover the Azure Messenger, whoever they may be, and disarm the bomb they've set. Because of its potential, the bomb must take priority. If we can't find it, not only will lives be lost, but our reputation in the eyes of the people will be tarnished forever. Everything is on the line here, so I expect all of you to bring your very best effort."
We all stood at attention and got to work. Kunikida went to the roof to talk to Taguchi, while Dazai took Ms. Nobuko out for coffee at the usual place, not aware that Kunikida and Atsushi were following him. I pulled out my phone and called Gin.
"Hey handsome, how's work?" She asked happily.
"Tense." I sighed "I can't give specifics, but we've got a bomb threat on our hands. The goal is mass destruction."
"And being in league with the Port Mafia, you're looking for a tip, eh?"
"You're reading my mind angel. Mind blessing me with some wisdom?"
She giggled.
"If he wants to cause a lot of damage, his best bet is either a large explosive or a chain reaction."
"Chain reaction?"
"It's like making a fire. Cause a spark, your initial explosion, and it triggers another one. The second would trigger a third, and so on. Get the picture?"
"We're looking for accelerants." I realized.
"Bingo~."
"You're a goddess baby. I'll cook you your favorite tonight."
"Just be careful, okay?"
"I promise. I love you Gin."
"I love you too."
I hung up and looked out at the city. The Azure King was dead, forensics confirmed as much. This was a copycat, one hellbent on burying us.
"Yokohama is a port town. Ships importing and exporting goods will need oil and gas to do their business... accelerants... one bomb... and a chain reaction." I murmured, "Oh shit, the Petrol Chemical Complex. One bad spark near the storage tanks could turn the entire port into a hellscape."
I hastily pulled out my phone and called Dazai.
"Dazai?" I said "Yeah, it's me. I figured it out! The bomb's -- Oh. I see. Bait and tackle shop got it. See you there."
I hung up.
"FUCKING Ranpo, stealing my thunder every damn time," I grumbled as I ran to my bike and sped off.