Chapter Twelve: Akaza

'Those eyes...he's Uppermoon Three.' Tanjiro thought. 'What's he doing here?'

Suddenly the demon headed straight to Tanjiro to attack.

'"Flame Breathing, Second Form: Scorching Sun." Rengoku released an arching sword slash upwards cutting the demon's hand in half before it could even touch Tanjiro.

The demon then flipped backwards, getting away in a safe distance. The demon then rejoined his arm putting back together. "That's a fine sword." The demon said.

'His speed of regeneration and sheer malice in his attack, so this is an uppermoon rank.' Rengoku thought. "Why would you go after a wounded person first over me?" He asked.

Tanjiro was slowly getting up on his knees.

"I thought he would get in the way of our little chat." The demon responded.

"What is it that you would discuss? While this is our first time meeting, I already dislike you."

"Is that right? Well I dislike weak human beings. The mere sight of them makes my skin crawl."

"If that's the case, I do not believe we will ever get along."

"Be that as it may, let me make you an offer. Why dont you become a demon as well?"

"No thanks." Rengoku immediately responded.

"I can tell just by looking at you that you're strong. A hashira huh? A fighting spirit has been tempered like quality steel,your name?"

"I am the Flame Hashira, Rengoku Kyojuro."

"I am Akaza. Kyojuro, let me tell you why despite being a hashira, your strength is not enough because you're merely a human. Destined to grow old and eventually die. Become a demon Kyojuro." Akaza held his hand out. "Doing so will allow you to better yourself for another hundred, even two hundred years."

'Of all the demons I've met so far, he smells the most like kibutsuji! I have to help fight him!' Tanjiro thought.

'How disrespectful, already calling Rengoku-San by his first name. He is a hashira for crying out loud, even if this Akaza thinks he's stronger, it is plain rude to call someone by their first name.' Yumi was glaring at Akaza.

"Both growing old and passing away, these are things that make being human beautiful. Those may seem weaknesses to you, but our lives are more precious and valuable because of them. You see, true strength does not refer to the physical body. This boy is not weak, don't insult him." Tanjiro looked at Rengoku, shocked by what he said. "Let me be clear, the two of us will never see eye to eye. No matter what twisted reasons you give. I will not yield."

"I see." Akaza then proceeded to take a fighting stance which made the ground below him crack from the pressure.

"Demon Blood Art: Destructive Death" Akaza activated his demon blood art. "I guess I'll just have to kill you then." He smiled at Rengoku before coming straight at him to attack.

'I have to get Tanjiro out of here before he gets caught up in this.' Yumi thought while looking at Tanjiro. In one swift move she picked up Tanjiro over her shoulder and ran to a nearby tree that was still in distance from Rangoku and Akaza fighting.

Rengoku and Akaza kept fighting one another but to the human eye all they left was flashes of light going around the dust storm they were creating.

"In all my years, I've never gotten to kill a Flame Hashira. Nobody has taken up on my offer either." Akaza said while fighting with Rengoku only using his bare fists. "Why do you think that is? As a fellow master of martial arts I just can't comprehend it. Why only when the chosen ones can become demons."

Rengoku took a swing at Akaza's arm, separating it, only for it to regenerate again in its place.

Akaza flug all the way to the air and activated his demon blood art, catching Rengoku off guard.

'"Flame Breathing, Fourth Form: Blooming Flame Undulation." Rengoku swung katana in a circular motion that defended him from incoming attacks from Akaza.

Rengoku then rab straight towards Akaza to attack him upfront, which took Akaza by surprise for a bit before coming back and dodging Redoku's swing at his neck.

'I have to help somehow, I can't just stay here with Tanjiro. But it's an Uppermoon...How am I going to help?' Yumi was trying to think of ways to help Rengoku.

"Ouch!" Tanjiro winced at the sting on his hand

"Stay still Tanjiro, I still have to put a bandage on it." Yumi went to the cabinet to get some small bandages. "Honestly, who the hell gets a large papercut by helping the teacher carry the papers?"

"It's not my fault Yumi-Senpai."

"Yumi-Chan! We need your help! Genya-Kun got hurt on the field again!" A student from the Archery Club came running into the nurses office.

"What happened this time..." Yumi finished wrapping the bandage on Tanjiros hand. "I finished Tanjiro, go to class now." Yumi went to grab her first aid kit and followed the student to the field for the Archery Club.

There she saw Genya passed out on the ground with a bloody nose. "What happened here?" She asked the other students there.

"I'm sorry, it's my fault. I was getting help from him when I accidentally hit him with my elbow." A boy with brown hair bowed down over and over again.

"Can somebody help me get him to the nurse's office?"

Soon enough Genya got laid on top of one of the beds in the nurse's office. Yumi grabbed a cotton ball and dappled Genya's nose softly so that she could clean the blood and so that he couldn't feel pain. Next she took out a little jar of saline-based nasal gel and applied it inside the nostrils.

'I wonder when he is going to wake up...' Yumi thought.

Little did she know he was awake this whole time and enjoying the care she gave him.

But little did he know that he dad was just peeking through the nurse's window glaring daggers at him. 'I know that you're awake, you scumbag.'

Students were just looking at the art teacher weirdly while they were passing around the nurse's office. 

(A/N- Be ready and grab some tissues for the next chapter. Imagine having to write the next chapter.)

Word count: 1033