chapter 45: indecisive

y/n story! just fluff. y/n comforts dream cause he can't choose something. got the idea randomly and wrote it down. gender neutral and no pronouns are mentioned for y/n.

⚠️TW/CW⚠️ nothing much. panic? not that much. but pretty safe story

•— 2nd/3rd Person POV —•

dream was indecisive.

in almost any situation involving a decision, nine times out of ten, he'd be flipping a coin or asking you to choose between one and two. he could never actually decide most things for himself.

today was no different. you and dream were going out to the new bakery that was opened up down the street a week ago. you were super excited to go, but dream was not. when you suggested it, he groaned and reluctantly said fine after a few seconds of hesitation.

all you knew was that he said it wouldn't be logical to go a week after it opened, because a lot of people would be going, so there'd be a long wait and too many people around. he even tried suggesting going next month, which you just laughed at while he pouted.

it was now six p.m., only an hour before closing. dream insisted that you go later to avoid the hustle during the popular hours of the day.

"DREAM, HURRY UP!" you yelled to him. he was running down the driveway, still putting on his black nikes. it was something you always made fun of him for, and he couldn't say anything back because he bought you your shoes; a pair of black converse shoes with little smiley faces and hearts drawn onto the soles and beads spelling out 'i love you' on the laces. it was a valentines day gift, and you had wrapped him in a bear hug upon receiving them.

"don't yell!" dream shushed you, climbing into the passenger seat. "there are neighbors, y/n."

you rolled your eyes and smiled, shifting the car into reverse to pull out of the driveway. no matter how much he denied it, dream was secretly freaking out. you kept asking him if he was okay, but each time, he reassured you and shoved it off.

you turned down your music so that dream could focus. the only reason you were driving was so that he could examine their menu and try to make a decision ahead of time.

sadly for him, though, it was a 3 minute drive. you pulled into the parking lot and parked in a parking space. you silently thanked dream for making you come later. there were definitely less cars than a few hours before, but it wasn't empty.

"wait, how are we here already?" dream questioned, frantically undoing his seatbelt and still staring at his screen.

"it's not that far," you responded plainly. you got out of the car and walked around to open dream's door for him. he mumbled a quick thanks and got out, obviously focused on making a decision.

"what are you deciding between, bubs?" you asked him. he moved his screen towards you and you saw a screenshot of the menu with black lines crossing out multiple options.

you squinted and leaned closer, reading the last three options that weren't crossed out. "4 rolls with vanilla cream filling, 2 slices of fresh baked banana bread, and chocolate cupcake with strawberry frosting." you read aloud. he nodded and looked to you pleadingly, obviously overwhelmed.

"ok, bubs, take a few breaths," you said calmly. he took some breaths and started tapping his nail against the side of his phone. "look - you crossed out 12 options! that's good. you're doing good, alright?" dream nodded and took more breaths, tapping speeding up.

"ok, i'm going to ask you to choose a number between 1 and 50. i'll be thinking of 3 different numbers, and whichever you're closest to will be the option that's eliminated. okay?"

dream breathed out and closed his eyes, nodding. you assigned a number to each one: 5, 25, and 50.

dream looked at you and said, "25. middle."

you smiled at him and crossed out the banana bread. "that was the banana bread, bubs. is that okay to cross out?"

dream thought about it for a second. "yeah. that's fine."

"great. you're doing great, love. now do you wanna do a coin flip?"

"sure," dream replied, finally loosening up. the tension that you saw in his eyes was slowly leaving.

"heads will be the rolls, and tails will be the cupcake." you said, pulling out your wallet and grabbing a quarter. "can you flip it?"

"okay." dream attempted a small smile and took the coin, placing it on his thumb. you took his phone and turned on the flashlight, ready to find the coin if it fell.

"deep breath before you flip, bubs," you reminded him gently. he breathed in for 4 seconds, held it for 4, and breathed out for 4, just like you two had practiced before.

you smiled to encourage him, and he tried smiling back again, this time seeming more genuine. dream flipped the coin and caught it on his hand, slapping it down with his other hand. he flipped his hands over and lifted up the other, revealing the coin on his palm.

you directed the flashlight to the coin, and it showed the 'heads' side. you turned off the light and handed him phone phone, taking the coin back.

"okay, bubs, looks like you're getting the rolls with vanilla filling. is that okay?" you asked dream, taking his and leading you both to the entrance.

"yeah, it's okay."

"okay, great," you grinned and squeezed his hand before opening the door. the smell of bread and sweets hit you both immediately.

after eating your food and paying, you and dream were back in the car. this time, he was driving. on the way back, you turned on a song, to which he turned it off.

you gasped dramatically and looked at him. "do you hate my music, dreamy?" he laughed and nodded yes, making you fake cry into your hands. you both laughed, but as it died down, he grabbed your hand.

"thank you so much, y/n," dream said seriously. you smiled at him, and he returned it.

"it's what i do, love," you replied. he kissed your hand, still trying to keep an eye on the road.

"i just- i don't know why i couldn't choose, they were all just so good and i didn't want to get something i'd regret-"

"you did amazing, bubs," you cut him off, kissing his cheek. "if you didn't like it, i would've shared, and we could've gone back another time. you know i'd be okay with that."

"yeah, i know, i just didn't want to ruin our first experience there."

"it's okay, dream. there's always second chances. i'll love you either way."

he pulled into the driveway, parking and pulling you in for a quick kiss. it was short and sweet, but there was so much love in it, too. you both headed inside and laid together on the couch, just relaxing.

"i love you, y/n," dream mumbled into your hair. his arms were around your waist, and the soft traces slowly lulled you to sleep.

"mhm?"

"mhm."

♡ ───── ﹥1162 words﹤ ───── ♡

i'll get part 3 of search history out, but i haven't finished. anyone got requests for what they want to happen? this'll be the last part, so make an ending maybe? thanks <3

𝔢𝔞𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔬𝔡!

𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓃𝓀 𝓌𝒶𝓉𝑒𝓇!

ᧁꫀꪻ ᦓꪮꪑꫀ ᦓꪶꫀꫀρ!

𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏!

•'¯'•. ⒶŇ𝕋έα𝓉𝒆𝚛 .•'¯'•