"Thanks." She said before continuing into the building. Miles was expecting a little more than that, so he followed behind her somewhat slow footsteps.

"Gianna." Miles called out for her but she ignored him and continued to walk. Seeing that she wasn't going to answer, Miles pulled her to the side.

"What are you doing?!" She whisper yelled while looking around them to make sure no one was near.

"What's the matter with you? Why you acting like that?" Miles asked. Gianna looked at him as if he had the word stupid written across his forehead.

"I don't know if you got amnesia over the weekend or something, but we did... you know."

Miles put on a phony confused face. "Nah. Can you refresh my memory?" Since Gianna was acting all paranoid, he only wanted her to say it out loud to mess with her.

Gianna smacked her teeth, "You know." He shook his head making Gianna sigh heavily. "When we kissed." She spoke so lowly that it was almost inaudible.

"Oh yeah." He replied. "You wanted to do it again or??"

Gianna's face was expressionless. Miles was playing and she didn't find the situation funny at all. "You're joking but you're not gonna be laughing when I get expelled and you're getting fired." She ranted.

"Woah, wait. Why you say that?"

"Because! What if somebody saw and said something? Oh my God. I'm so done for." She covered her eyes with her hand.

"Hey, calm down." Miles smiled politely at the janitor as he passed the two of them. Once the man was gone, Miles began to caress her arm, comforting her. "Everything is cool and nothing is gonna happen." Miles assured her, attempting to make her feel better.

"We'll talk more after class." He told Gianna and she nodded her head, then walked towards the classroom. He let her go in first and waited for two minutes to go by before walking in himself.

"You dodged a bullet." Brooke nudged Gianna's side, earning a small smile from her. As Miles greeted his class, he noticed Gianna held an anxious look on her face.

Miles sat at his desk before starting his lesson. He set his phone down and began to write the word poetry on the whiteboard.

"Phones on silent, please." He reminded the class as someone's text tone went off. Even though his back was turned, he already knew whose phone it was.

Gianna didn't say anything as she toggled her phone to vibrate. Before putting her phone down, she unlocked it and went to see who it was from and what the text said.

And when she did, she tried her best to stop the smile that was creeping its way onto her face as she read the last sentence.

Miles: Gianna, I need you to relax for me love. I know the program means a lot to you, so when I say I got you, I got you. Ain't nothing gonna happen and I promise you that. You look too beautiful to be covering up your face all day.

_____________________

After class was over, Gianna purposely packed up her things slowly as she waited for everyone to leave. "Miles I've been thinking and-"

"Surprise!" Gianna's eyes traveled to the door frame to see the stunning woman strut inside. With every move, Gianna's eyes followed. When the woman walked up to Miles and kissed him, her eyebrows raised in surprise. But her heart dropped when she spotted the diamond sitting on the woman's left hand.

The kiss didn't last any more than it started before Miles pulled away. His eyes instantly searched for Gianna but all he saw was the back of her body walking out of the classroom.

"Shit." He whispered while looking away from Kennedy. "What you doing here?" Miles gathered his things, ready to leave. Just that quickly, she'd pissed him off.

"Excuse me for trying to come be with you for your birthday." She rolled her eyes, sensing his annoyance.

"That's one thing but don't be coming up in here acting like we together. Especially in front of my students."

"You let your students call you by your first name?" Kennedy asked, confused since she'd over heard the start of their conversation. For the one semester she spent in college, she know she didn't call any of her professors by their first names.

Miles didn't pay her any mind as he continued to get his things. "Where the kids?"

"In the car."

"You left them in the car by themselves?"

"Yeah because I didn't want to make a scene in case you had a class going on." Her logic didn't make any sense to him because if she was so worried about interrupting his class, why would she barge in screaming surprise and kiss him?

"Alright." Was all he said, not wanting to talk to her anymore. As it felt like things couldn't get any worse, when they walked into the hallway, Jess was walking out of her classroom.

"Miles! Hi!" She waved with a huge smile on her face.

"Goodmorning." Miles said plainly. Both women stood and stared at him, waiting for the introduction. "Oh. Ken this is Jessica and she teaches the um sewing class?"

"Fashion and design." She corrected him politely while extending her hand to Kennedy's. "Nice to meet you."

Kennedy purposely used her hand that housed the ring that Miles bought for her years ago. "Nice to meet you too." She plastered a fake smile on her face. "Come on Miles we have to get the kids." She tugged at his arm, pulling him to the exit.

"She obviously likes you." Kennedy rolled her eyes as they approached her rental car. Once again, Miles ignored her and opened the back door to see both boys sleeping peacefully.

Miles got into his truck, grateful that he didn't have to ride in a car with her. Before pulling off, he tried to call Gianna's phone but she declined him each time.

He left her alone for now, but he knew for sure, that he wasn't giving up that easily. He just had to get his shit together first.

Kennedy Harper

Kennedy Harper

don't forget to comment your thoughts and share!

thanks for reading 🫶🏾