Chapter Five: Scabbers

Start from the beginning

"How did it go, Hagrid? The hearing?" Hermione questioned the half giant who threw pebbles across the lake.

Harry sat on a rock while Ron threw pebbles as well. Y/N sat on the ground, staring at the water as Hermione stood next to him, keeping her attention to Hagrid. The sky had gotten dim with clouds covering the sun.

"Well, first off, the committee members took turns talking about why we were there." Hagrid spoke up before skipping another oversized pebble.

"And then I got up and did my piece. Said how Buckbeak was a good hippogriff, always cleaned his feathers. And then Lucius Malfoy got up. Well, you can imagine. He said Buckbeak was a deadly and dangerous creature who would kill you as soon as he look at you."

"And then?" Hermione questioned, taking a seat next to Y/N.

"And then he asked for the worst, did old Lucius."

Y/N was quiet. He knew how many terrible things his father did yet he could only stand and watch. His words meant nothing to his father if his family was the ones getting hurt even if it was their fault or not.

Hermione seemed to notice Y/N's saddened expression, laying her head on his shoulder as they stared out into the lake that grew darker by the minute. Y/N gently laid his head onto hers, sighing as the conversation continued.

"They're not sacking you!" Harry yelled.

"No, I'm not sacked." Hagrid mumbled so quietly the others barely heard.

Buckbeak's been sentenced to death!" Hagrid cried out loudly, unable to keep it in anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Broaden your minds! You must look beyond!" Professor Trelawny once again shouted out her nonsense to the class.

"The art of crystal gazing is in the clearing of the Inner Eye! Only then can you see. Try again."

Y/N chuckled at Ron who had fallen asleep in the class as Hermione and Harry stared into the Crystal Ball. The Crystal Ball was a light blue and cloudy inside, Hermione thought it resembled Y/N's eyes when his mind had wondered off and lost in his thoughts.

"What do we have here?" Trelawny walked up to their table, waking Ron up.

"Ohh! Uh! Do you mind me trying?" Hermione perked up, pretending to be excited.

Y/N watched her with amusement, fully aware that she did not care for the class one bit.

"The Grim, possibly." She said, her smile turning into a straight face.

Professor Trelawny sighed, leaning up closer to Hermione.

"My dear, from the first moment you stepped foot in my class..." She grabbed Hermione's hand into hers.

"I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit... for the noble art of Divination." She studied Hermione's hand, tracing around the lines.

Y/N chuckled at Hermione's offended expression, obviously not believing a word that the Professor said.

"No, you see, there." She tracing the line going along Hermione's palm.

"You may be young in years, but your heart is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave."

"Here we go." Y/N whispered, packing his books to get ready.

Hermione shoved the Professor's hand off of hers before grabbing her bag and pushing the Crystal Ball off the table and then walked off.