Chapter Five: Best Friend

"Gather round! Gather round. Can everybody see me?" The students crowded around a long wooden platform, decorated with the moon's phases and a blue tarp.

Y/N followed behind Draco who pulled him by the sleeve, pushing through other students to get to the front.

"Now. In light of the dark events of recent weeks... Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this Dueling Club... to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions." Lockhart explained, walking up and down the platform.

"For full details, see my published works." He shamelessly plugged his merch before taking his cape off and throwing it to some girls who quickly fought over it.

"Why are they so eager to catch that sweaty fabric." Draco rolled his eyes, not removing his gaze from Lockhart.

"Jealous, Draco?" Y/N teased his brother.

"Please, hearing that made me throw up in my mouth." Draco gagged, before turning his attention back towards the front.

"Let me introduce my assistant... Professor Snape." Lockhart said, pointing towards the other end of the platform where he stood.

"He has sportingly agreed to help with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any one of you youngsters to worry, you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him. Never fear."

"I'm sure Snape's way more competent than him." Y/N whispered to which Draco nodded.

They watched as the two Professor's walked towards each other, drawing their wands. Snape's face was normal, his serious look gave him an ominous aura while Lockhart grinned, seemingly confident that he'd win the duel. They put their wands in front of their faces before placing it back by their sides and bowing to one another, Y/N figured it must have been duel etiquette. They then turned their backs from one another before walking striding forwards, taking 5 graceful steps before swinging towards each other, wands drawn. Y/N's eyes lit up with excitement, ready to see the show when he saw Snape's cool stance and Lockhart's awkward one. 

"One. Two. Three!" Lockhart counted them down.

"Expelliarmus!" Snape casted before Lockhart could react, sending Lockhart flying backwards immediately.

Y/N's serious face curled into a smile at the amazing show Snape had shown. At their age, they could only make wands fly from the opposing wizard's hands yet Snape's casting made Lockhart fly with his wand. He was truly amazing.

"Do you think he's alright?" Hermione asked with concern, next to the two Slytherins.

"I hope not." Y/N chuckled, knowing Hermione had a bit of a crush on the Professor.

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape... but if you don't mind me saying, it was obvious what you were about to do." Lockhart got up and started walking confidently towards Snape.

"You think he's alright in the head?" Y/N said out loud to which Harry shook his head frantically.

"If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy." Lockhart scoffed.

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, Professor." Snape spat, annoyed at his overly-confident attitude.

"An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape!" Lockhart exclaimed, holding his head high, his grin never fading.

"Let's have a volunteer pair. Potter, Weasley, how about you?" Lockhart looked down at them, refusing to fight Snape once more.

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox." Snape interrupted as Harry made his way onto the platform.