[chapter thirty nine] an invisible string

Start from the beginning

"Wait, a key?"

"Yes, a key! Stiles had a key and he thought it belonged to the chemistry closet but it doesn't exist or at least he doesn't have it but I remember a key. I don't know if it was the same one as the chemistry closet though because right now I don't know if it was in my head or real."

"Do you think he's the nogitsune?"

Of all the things that I was hoping would leave his mouth after my ramble, those were the words  I least expected.

"What?" I hissed. 

"Do you think it's possessing Stiles?"

A nogitsune, a dangerous spirit possessing my best friend. It didn't seem believable yet something in me told me not to completely shut down the idea. The truth was, I didn't know. And why he would ask that I had no clue. 

I wanted to ask him why he would say that, what was going through his head, however, my words were lodged in the back of my throat, the same way they were in the classroom when Stiles asked me about the key. Suddenly, I had another sudden need to protect Stiles. 

"No." I forced out in a low breath. 

✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

"Have you seen him yet?" Scott asked as he shoved his books roughly into his locker. 

"No, Melissa doesn't want me to until he wakes up. Something about how she doesnt want to confuse him whilst he's asleep. Why? Have you seen him?"

"No, and my Mom gave me the same reason. They are gonna do an MRI on him later today though."

"An MRI for what?"

Once again, I had been left out of something else.

"Scotty?" I prompted with a frown, knowing he would always cave at his nickname.

"The symptoms he told her, she further looked into it and she thinks-"

"That he has what his Mom had." I finished for him. "What time is the MRI?"

"I'll come get you before its time to leave."

"Thanks Scotty."

✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

Lunch time had come and I still hadn't received a text from Scott to say it was time to leave for the hospital, adding to my already bubbling nerves.

"Aires, I love you but if you don't stop tugging on your hair I'm gonna tie your wrists behind your back so you can't reach it."

"Kinky." I dead panned with a roll of my eyes. 

"I miss you." Lydia randomly blurted out, bringing a hint of a frown to my face. 

"What do you mean? I'm right here, I've always been here."

"No, I know. I miss you, you. The one who had been my best friend since elementary school."

She was missing someone I wasn't, and I hated that. 

I wasn't the old me, that version of me was dead.

"I miss you too, Lyds." I hummed. "Anyways, how is Morgan?" I quickly asked, needing to change the subject. 

"What about Morgan?" Lydia shot back fast, too fast. "Did she say something to you?"

"No?" I whispered with narrowed eyes. "I haven't spoken to her in a while because she is always with you."