"I have to go pee, but you're holding me really tight and started growling when I tried to get up."

"Oh, sorry," he says lifting his arms.

I run to the bathroom, and then go back to bed again. It's just 7 am, so we can sleep a little longer. I lie down beside him, but he lifts me up on top of him again. I giggle and he mumbles something, half sleeping.

I sigh, but a happy sigh. I wonder what it's going to feel like next week when I've turned 18. For once, I look forward to my birthday.

I fall asleep again, and when I wake up, Zeke is lying there with his phone in his hands, lifted over my head.

"Morning," he says, smiling.

"Morning. What time is it?"

"Nine."

"Have you just woken up?" I ask him.

"About 20 minutes ago."

"Why didn't you wake me?" I'm still on top of him. He must need to go to the bathroom or get ready for training.

"I was too comfortable and I wanted you to sleep as long as you could," he says, smiling and sitting us up so I'm straddling him again.

I suddenly feel shy, look down and blush a little. He rubs his nose gently against mine.

"B-but won't you be late for training?"

"I moved it forward an hour, so we've still got time. I didn't want to rush off this morning if you wanted to talk some more. I want to know that you're okay with all this before I leave."

"It's just really strange, all of this...and weird...and unbelievable, but I think I am."

"You don't want to run for the hills, freak out or shout at me?"

I shake my head. Even if I should be freaking out since I'm living with a pack of werewolves, I've never felt more at home. These people⸺or should I say werewolves⸺care about me.

"How many more humans live here?" I ask him.

"Just a few. Evelyn's mom is human, and Chris's grandma."

"You said that Ben is a lead warrior. What does that mean?"

"We have warriors that defend and keep our pack safe. That's what pack-training is for, to work on our fighting skills and train new warriors. When I take over the pack, Ben is going to be my lead warrior."

"Why do you need warriors?" I ask a little worriedly.

"It's like our own army if we would ever be attacked by other wolves. Most packs are peaceful and we've never had a problem with them, but there are rouges. Rouges are werewolves that aren't members of a pack. Most of them have been thrown out of a pack for not following the rules repeatedly or done something horrible. Some are born rouges. Mostly, they don't give us any trouble, but once in a while, they cross our borders. Some are peaceful and don't give us any trouble, but some try to attack us. It hasn't happened in years, and the worst attack was on Chris's parents. They were killed."

I gasp "Oh my God!"

"You don't have to worry, though. We have a lot more warriors that patrol the borders now, and we're one of the strongest packs. But that's why I sent Mira with you to the mall. She's a warrior and can protect you. Not that I think it's needed, especially in the human town, but I just want to be sure that you're safe."

I lean forward and place my head on his chest and hug him. "Thank you."

He chuckles. "You don't have to thank me. It's my job as your mate to keep you safe."

We stay like that, holding each other for a while.

"Do your eyes always flash red when you're about to shift?" I say, lifting my head and looking at him.

"They always do before I shift, but other emotions can cause my eyes to shift color too."

"What emotions?"

"Any strong emotion. Anger, fear, love," he clears his throat, "arousal."

"Oh," I say, blushing and looking down. I suddenly feel very aware of where I'm sitting, and we're only in our underwear even if I've got a t-shirt on. Did he feel aroused those times I saw the red flashes? The time in the bathroom when I only had his shirt on for the first time and he rushed in. The time in the kitchen when we just stared into each other's eyes?

"But it's only dad and I that have red eyes," he says, snapping me out of it.

"How come?"

"Only Alphas do. Every other werewolf keeps their eye color even when they shift."

I nod.

"Are you up for shopping today or do you need some alone time to process all this?"

"No, I want to go. I think I would feel better to do something 'normal' to process all this."

"Ok. Mom, Evelyn and Mira can answer you if you have any more questions. I'm sure more will pop up. I'll be here when you get back. Go take a shower if you want and we'll go down for breakfast. I'll shower after training," he says, pecking my nose.

I nod and walk into the closet to pick out clothes, and then hit the shower.