I snuck off to the office after dinner. I didn't drink anything tonight, finding the idea repulsive. Others did not share in this idea though. The loud racket outside was shut out as the heavy door clicked closed. Gianna proposed the grand idea of setting up the karaoke machine and Matteo and Maddox started arguing over the various topics they kept on hand if things were getting too stale. My families normal behavior that I was all too used to seemed to insult me today. Father sat behind his desk, acting as he always did when something was on his mind. I was getting impatient with his silence, I gave him a questioning glance. "I didn't find your comment at dinner funny. The Camorra aren't someone we ever want to reconcile with, do I need to remind you?" "You never need to remind me of my hatred for them, that was the last thing I meant of it." He nodded, glad we were on the same page and continued. "There has been progression with the situation and the Outfit. We reviewed all the contracts again today and nothing seems to be a deterrent to the current standings between us." "And what was the conclusion?" I asked, although I already knew and I didn't know how to feel about it. I looked out the bay window that overlooked the ocean. The lights of the dock cast a glimmer onto the turbulent sea that was retreating back, revealing the sand that lay beneath. I remembered as a child running out to see what the sand had to present to me, the tide left in its absence small creatures, shells and treasures that would otherwise have stayed secret to me. "We both know the conclusion, you've looked over the documents as much as me. It's a good match." The fate of the future relied on me to keep it together. To hold a steady face in the turmoil and to not do anything atrociously stupid. Thank god Valerio wasn't in my situation. Nobody questioned my ability to stay collected or in control. When I was in business I held any responsibility that was given to me, I upheld my reputation. I walked the width of the room, going through the words I had just heard. Concreting what I hadn't wanted to accept. It had been a long time coming, nobody expected it to move this quickly though. Valerio was the one if anybody to have an arranged marriage with the Outfit. It was never my name filling those expectations. "Remember when you were younger? That day you came in here with a broken leg?" How could I forget? I not only made a promise to myself that day, I made a promise to my family. Father watched me with slight concern on his features of how I took the news. "I know this year has been challenging for you, with the upcoming wedding... It's part of the job and I've tried to make it as natural of a process as possible but I see you're not happy with the choices and frankly I think you can do better as well. This is a delicate matter but I wouldn't entrust it to anybody except you Amo. This can bring great opportunities for us, for the family." Quietness filled the room for a minute, the only sound was the screeching voices from outside trying to hit a high note. "I think it's a logical choice, set up the meeting. I need to get back to the city. Tell mom I can't stay the night.'' His features relaxed and he looked pleased. He never doubted my diligence, he knew more than anyone I was obligingly dutifully to any obstacle to get to the throne. I walked out shutting the office door. Taking the third door to the right out of the dining room so nobody would see me leave. I grabbed my phone on the table and descended back into the night. The only telling of my leaving was the sound of the bike's engine starting, the small pebble stones rustling under the weight of the bike. I looked behind me to just make out the ocean before I left. It was only at a red light five minutes down the road did I remember the text and opened my phone.

"How funny is it that I miss you? I hardly even know you. Everything feels more real when you know it won't last."

I turned off my phone and continued home.