~●~

I spent the next morning on the small hill near the park. I basked in the privilege of watching the sun rise, then took a stroll around the park. I've been here a couple of times since last week, but I never ventured to the oak tree again. I decided to try my luck to satisfy a curiosity.

As I expected, or maybe hoped, Thalia was sitting beneath the tree, in that same position as before. Knees up, book on her thighs and pen rapidly scrolling across the paper.

I didn't stay, I already got what I wanted. I made my way home and jogged up the three flights of stairs to my apartment. I fished out my keys from my pocket and inserted the right key into the lock. The door unlocked and I pushed it open, but noises caught my attention.

I noticed the woman from across the hall drop her bags, her groceries spilling out of them. I quickly crouched down and helped her gather them up.

"Oh, thank you." She smiled after we picked everything up.

"No problem." I lifted the bag out to her.

"Mackenzie, right?" Her eyes scanned me slowly.

I looked down at myself, wondering if I had anything on my clothing. "Um, yes. I'm sorry, I don't know...your name."

She flashed me a flirty smile. "I'm Daphne. We go to the same gym."

I frowned, trying to recall if I ever saw her. "Really? That's nice."

She held her two bags and purse in one hand while using the other the open her door. "We should workout together sometime."

I hummed, giving her a smirk while my mind ran a little wild. The tone and fluttering eyes told me she wasn't thinking about actually working out, at least not in the gym. I could sometimes pick up whenever I was flirted with or if someone wanted me. I also had my phase of countless one night stands and meaningless sex.

But that wasn't me anymore.

"I don't know..." I gave her a once over. "You seem to have it in order. I'll see you around, neighbour."

I entered my apartment and shut my door. I took out ingredients to make myself an omelet for breakfast and put on some coffee. Taking my food and drink over to my sofa, I propped my feet up on the coffee table and turned on the television.

I had time to kill until going to the gym. I wanted to be there at 12, get two hours in and then bother Thalia a little. After I ate, I killed time by entertaining myself with Grey's Anatomy.

I changed into gym shorts, a sports bra and a t-shirt. Slipping on my Nike shoes and grabbing my gym bag, I headed out the door. I ensured my baby was safe in its parking spot before walking to the gym. I didn't jog today, taking my time in strolling.

Reaching the building, I pushed open the door and immediately saw Thalia sitting behind the reception desk. The woman scowled when she saw me and I grinned back at her.

My two hours went by quickly and I went to the washrooms to clean up. I didn't want to be smelly around the brunette, that would be adding reasons for her to ignore me. I got dressed in my usual black jeans, a grey fitted t-shirt and leather jacket, my boots on my feet.

Bag on my shoulder, I waltzed out in time to see Thalia heading out the door. I ran behind her and fell into step with her.

"So, decided what we'll be having for lunch yet?" I asked as I looked ahead.

"I'm not in the mood for you today." She grumbled.

"I'm starving." I patted my tummy. "I think I overdid it today."

Thalia stopped and faced me. "Why?"

"Why what?" I asked, moving out of the way when people passed near us.

"Why are you doing whatever you're doing?" She clarified, brown eyes seeming angry.

I puffed out my cheeks in contemplation. "I don't like eating alone. Tacos? I really want some tacos."

The brunette eyed me weirdly, gaze focused on my face with threaded brows. "I already ate."

"Liar." I accused smugly, not sure if it was true or not.

She gritted her teeth, arms folded and glare directed at me. "If I have lunch with you, you'll leave me alone?"

"Probably not." I told her honestly, unapologetically.

She scoffed. "Don't you have a damn job?"

"I also have tomorrow free so if you don't go, I'll be upping my game."

Brown eyes rolled before she walked off. I followed after, keeping silent as we eventually made our way to the small restaurant that served tacos amongst other tasty food.

I rushed forward to open the door for her but she smacked my hand away. "I know how to open my own doors."

"Well, excuse me." I mumbled and walked in as she held it open for me.

We found a seat and sat down, not many customers present. I placed my bag beside me and rested my elbow on the table. Thalia hooked her purse on her chair and casually looked around the room.

Red checkered table cloth laid on squared brown tables, chairs matching in colour. The floors were wood but shiny with its cleanliness. The lighting a dull yellow and a few posters of old celebrities decorated the walls.

"I think they like Marilyn Monroe." I chuckled when I noticed most were of her.

My company only hummed, curious eyes still taking in the posters. I leaned back, hanging my right arm over the back of my chair and spreading my legs in my seat. I quietly took in the woman who insisted on not glancing my way.

A finger gently tapped on the table surface, short hair messy from her running her hand through them repeatedly. Those brown eyes floated over the room until they landed on me.

I smiled, she scowled.

"What?" She muttered.

"Nothing." I shrugged.

A waiter came over, he seemed like the only one, and took our orders. Thalia only ordered herself two tacos while I ordered five, chips and salsa with it. I asked for mountain dew and she asked for water.

"So," I linked my fingers on the table. "What do you do when you're not working?"

"Nothing." She replied in a beat.

"Well, when I'm not working, I workout as you know. I recently went fishing with Paul, minus the fishing part. Back in the city I would party a lot, but I don't anymore. I like woodworking too. My dad owns a furniture store and I used to follow him around when I was a kid." I pursed my lip in thought. "Hmm, what else? Oh, I want to go hiking but I've never been."

I let out a small breath and watched as Thalia kept her eyes on the table. She granted me a quick look before averting her eyes again.

I didn't mind that she offered nothing. I was happy she even came here with me. So, we ate with her being silent as I rambled on about useless things. She refused to let me pay for her, so we paid for our own food before leaving.

The silence stayed while I walked her to her place. She muttered a tiny 'bye' and headed in, leaving me to watch her go inside safely.

Fixing my bag on my shoulder, I began my short journey home.

-E