Fatality.

This is chapter 1 of my new story, let me know what you think <3

Neville Longbottom- The Boy Who Lived 

Chapter One- Fatality. 

Dumbledore's P.O.V

'Hmmm, it's a nice day out' I thought to myself, whilst stepping out of my castle into a brisk walk towards the castle gates. Glancing back, I see my pride and joy. I love it here, and always have done, ever since I joined here when I was 11. Now I am headmaster. Being headmaster, I can walk strait through the wrought iron gates that protect my castle. Oh, the joys of magic. It has to be well protected, as no-one can be trusted nowadays. Not with Tom Riddle strolling round like he owns the place. Stupid boy. He has never troubled my school though. I don't have a clear idea why, but I believe that it is either between the fact that he values the school too much, without it, he would be no where, or he is scared of me. Of course, I am said to be a very talented, powerful wizard. As I am Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. Professor Dumbledore to my students. Just Albus to my friends. I am known not only for my magical skill, but also for my eccentricness, my crazy dressing, my different ways of doing things. Today I am wearing a long midnight blue robe, black, heeled boots with thick buckles, a thick, brown, dragon hide belt that my white beard is tucked into. I am also wearing a midnight blue pointed hat, with silver and gold suns and moons on it. I am on my way to interview a new Divination teacher. I am not expecting much, but Sybill Patricia Trelawney is the great-great-granddaughter of the greatly celebrated seer, Cassandra Trelawney, however, she would need to be really terrible for me not to chose her, as I seriously need to get a teacher. I don't really think very high of the subject anyway, but it needs someone for the post. It's hard enough trying to get the other posts filled, nobody wants to leave the safety of their homes. I sighed to myself. It is common knowledge that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is one of the safest places in the wizarding world. I was almost at the Hogs Head now, where I would be meeting Trelawney, and I seriously hope that she can have this job. Unfortunately, not being a seer myself, I didn't know how fatal the events of today could be.

The bell on the door tinged as I entered the ran down pub. Why Sybill Trelawney chose this place I don't know. There was no-one at the bar. I know why. Aberforth. I don't believe we have spoke much since... since the... the funeral. It hurt thinking about it. I am scared to know. I have always believed it my fault she died, and have felt immensely guilty ever since. I have wanted to talk to Aberforth. My brother, younger brother, but it didn't go so well. He refused to talk, and it hasn't been the same since. I wish he would, but there is nothing I can do. He joined the battle against Voldemort, joined the order, but sometimes that isn't enough. Rubbing where he broke my nose all them years ago, I left with a sigh, towards the room Trelawney told me she would be. I counted as I passed each room, 'One, Two, Three...' I muttered quietly to myself,'...Five, Six, Seven, ah ha! Eight!' I knocked loudly on the door three times, then entered, not thinking to check if anyone was around, nothing interesting was going to happen anyway.

"Ah Sybill, my dear." I said as if she was an old friend, as I saw a bespectacled young lady sitting on a tiny bed in the corner. I grimaced to myself before her large, magnified eyes turned and lit up instantaneously. 'This will be difficult' I thought to myself, as she stood up, glided over to a small table, the smile still etched onto her face, and pulled out a chair then offered it to me. I smiled back and sat down. I picked up my wand, made a chair appear out of thin air, handed it to her, and pulled a piece of parchment out of the air. Out of my midnight blue robes, I picked out a quill, jotted down the date: 29th October 1980.

"Good afternoon," I started as she sat down on her chair. She busied herself making two cups of tea," I am Albus Dumbledore, the current headmaster of Hogwarts." I looked at her for her reaction and gave her an encouraging smile. I stood the quill on its point and it balanced perfectly. As soon as Sybill Trelawney started talking, the quill started moving, writing down everything she said.

"Hello Professor," She replied timidly, "I am Sybill Trelawney, and I wish to take up the divination teaching role at your school." 'She seems ok...' I thought to myself in my head. I started on the first question on my mental list.

"Why do you want the job?" I asked curious,

"I saw that was where I wanted to work." 'Oh god.' I sighed to myself.

"Do you have a passion for teaching?"

"I wouldn't call it a passion, more of a feel for that particular subject." 'This is going from bad to worse.'

"How do you work with kids?" I asked, almost dreading the answer.

"I am not sure as I haven't really seen many."

"What is your experience with these jobs?"

"Um, I haven't taught before, but I am willing to give it a go."

"What is your current job state?"

"Unemployed." I knew this wasn't going to get much better. I didn't know how much more I could take. So I decided to leave it there.

"Thank you for your time, I will review your answers, plus the other candidates, and let you know in a couple of days." I picked up the quill and the parchment, used a silent drying spell to dry the ink, whilst also thinking about how to word a letter telling her that she hadn't got the job. Just as I stood up to shake her hand, I realized that she was making odd noises and her eyes had glazed over. With an unsettling, raspy voice, she made a statement.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches,

Born to those who have thrice defied him,

Born as the seventh month dies,

And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal,"

A slight disturbance is heard outside the room, but I ignore it, knowing that this is a lot more important.

"But he will have power the Dark Lord knows not,

And either must die at the hand of the other,

For neither can live while the other survives,

The one with the Power to vanquish the Dark Lord,

Will be born as the seventh month dies..."

She just had a prophecy... And I witnessed it. She coughed and spluttered for about 10 seconds, then her eyes came back into focus. "Sorry..." She muttered as if nothing happened, "I haven't eaten yet and I am feeling a little faint..." I looked at her for a second, then made my decision.

"I have decided that you would be perfect for the job, if you like you can come up right now and eat in the great hall if you like?" I asked with a smile. I didn't need to be a skilled legilimens to know her answer. I left her to collect her stuff, I was going to grab a drink before I went back to the castle. As I opened the door, I was met with a weird sight. My brother, restraining a hooked nose, greasy haired young man. None other than Severus Snape.