Chapter 19: Sorry Firecrotch

The banging of a door jolts Bruce into consciousness. And I'm jolted into consciousness by being thrown unceremoniously to the floor. The door of the empty office opens, and I scramble with a yelp, trying to cover my exposed body. Bruce leaps off the cot and snatches a knife from his belt laying on the floor. Light from beyond this dark room spills in, illuminating the silhouette of a man.

"Oh, excuse me." Alfred's familiar voice fills the room.

"Shit," Bruce sighs. "Sorry Alfred, I-"

Alfred spins around to face the hallway beyond. "Was actually sleeping for once," he says over his shoulder. "My apologies, miss," he says my name with surprise. "I was not aware anyone else knew of this place. Or of Mr. Wayne."

"It's complicated," Bruce says as I push my legs into my pants. "Actually, Alfred, we have a bit of a situation."

Bruce and I dress as he gives Alfred an overview of the current situation, and my need to find somewhere to stay. I follow the men back out into the spacious station, shivering after the warmth from the space heater.

We reach an old elevator when Bruce finishes, and Alfred gives me a sympathetic look. "Why don't you come with me for some breakfast, and we'll get everything sorted out."

With one last look at Bruce, who looks significantly better after a night of sleep, I step past the grate into the elevator with Alfred. He looks at me when the doors close. "Did you really get him to sleep?"

I nod. "Took some manipulation, but yes. He looked horrible."

Alfred shakes his head. "He's running himself into the ground."

The elevator rises to the main floor of Wayne tower, and Alfred escorts me to another elevator that takes us up high in the tower. I check my phone, but there's nothing new since Jenna told me to have a good night last night.

We come to an open entry space with a receptionist desk and a tired looking young woman behind the computer. But she perks up when we approach. "Good morning, Mr. Alfred."

They exchange pleasantries and he asks for a breakfast platter to be brought into his office. Then he opens the doors to the right of the reception to reveal a comfortable, spacious office, and Alfred puts me in a plush chair before taking a seat on the other side of the oak desk.

He starts typing on his computer in front of him. "Alright. Let's get all this down so I can start rearranging schedules. Now, what does your niece, Jenna, know about everything?"

"She knows that I was with Bruce for several months and that we aren't together currently."

Alfred pauses, frowning at me. "Sorry, what is the nature of your relationship with Bruce?"

My cheeks flush, stomach flips, and heart beats fast. Is he asking about... everything? Would it feel good to finally get it all off my chest to someone who isn't Bruce? I clear my throat. "We were together from May, I think, to October. But not currently."

"Ah, okay. And have you ever, or think you may in the future, betray his identity to anyone? Including your niece." His big eyes scrutinize me.

"No," I say quickly. "Never. What Ven- what he does is important for Gotham. I wouldn't want to get in the way of that."

Alfred smiles at me. "Lovely. He seems to have chosen well someone to confide in."

His assistant comes in with a tray of pastries, fruit, and mugs of tea. I pick at it as Alfred works away on his computer. "Unfortunately, Mr. Wayne has only five security guards to accompany him when necessary. Two will be on their way shortly to follow Jenna and keep an eye on her at the school. Three will accompany you to your home, where you will spend the day packing essentials. I will send you with a rather official looking report from a foundation repair man as evidence that your home is not safe to live in until it is repaired. When Jenna comes home, you can let her know that you both have rooms available at the manor."