𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐌 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐇 → 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐂

Start from the beginning

"Why?"

"I can't swim." was Sonic's simple reasoning.

(Y/n) frowned in concern, lifting herself up from her comfortable seating within the silky lilac towel underneath her that sank into the sand from her weight against it. She sat next to her anxious hedgehog companion, an arm resting around his fragile shoulders as the softness of his cerulean fur delighted her fingertips.

She watched the sea slowly come closer, Sonic wincing and shivering a little at the sight like a menacing beast was coming to attack. (Y/n) soothed his shoulder with a gentle rub, her cheek meeting the top of his head and just about avoiding the prickly sensation of his vivid blue quills.

"Have you ever thought about learning?"

Sonic shook his head with aggressive certainty.

"Nope."

(Y/n) didn't want to keep pressing on with questions, not wanting to put him under pressure of sentences needing answers. But before she could ask anything else, Sonic replied like he read her mind.

"I've almost drowned before, so the sight of water doesn't sit well with me anymore."

He could feel the nodding of (Y/n)'s head against the top of his own, a reassuring smile forming from the previous frown across his fuzzy muzzle.

Just as he gently allowed his emerald orbs to close in relaxation, something tickled at his toes. Something wet. Something that soaked straight through his socks. Something he had just mentioned about not wanting to touch, as if nature had heard him and wanted to cackle up above watching him shrivel up in fear.

Sonic's eyes quickly shot back open, his tiny body scuttling backwards across the sand to avoid the ripple of sea water that knocked against his toes. He buried his worried face into his arms that folded over his raised knees, watching the water pull itself back with droplets of moist sand along with it.

The same thing happened to (Y/n), but she didn't seem to mind. She rather liked the feeling of the cool water calming down the burning feeling of her bare feet in the summer's strong heat. She pushed herself back as her hands slid into the sand, wrapping her arms back around Sonic's tense shoulders as soon as the two became side by side again.

"It's okay. Look." (Y/n) reassured, gesturing towards the ripples of ocean that carefully approached them.

Sonic's emeralds sparkled with interest and curiosity, watching (Y/n)'s fingers briskly swipe through the foam of the tiny wave. It didn't seem to do her any damage, giving him a small smile of reassurance.

He carefully pulled out his gloved hand, dampening his fingers a little with a smooth tap to the top of the water as the small wavelet broke. Sonic's smile grew, feeling a little more comfortable.

(Y/n) smiled, hands remaining around his shoulders as she buried his head into her neck. She balanced her face into his cerulean quills, feeling the tickling of the silky fur between them.

"See, it's okay." She smiled into his head before planting a gentle kiss to it.

Sonic grinned, spreading out his socked feet in front of him. Soon enough, the ripples brushed across the shimmering sand until the crystal clear water touched his toes as he released a quiet giggle.

Maybe the ocean that seemed to flow on forever into the buttermilk that bled into the horizon far into the distance wasn't so bad after all. Almost calming.

Sonic carefully closed his green orbs glistening with contentment, living in the moment perfectly with the smooth rubbing of (Y/n)'s hands to his shoulder.

However, the tranquillity that seemed almost too good to be true was interrupted again, Sonic groaning in agitation that he couldn't just enjoy the warmth of summer that surrounded him and the soothing touch of the sand in peace.

He heard (Y/n) giggle uncontrollably as the feeling of her hands holding his shoulder broke free. He quickly opened his eyes again to see her stood by his side, knocking herself dry with soaked hands from the wave that had burst closer to them than predicted.

Sonic noticed the sensation of water dampening his fur from underneath where he sat, scanning his surrounding patch of sand to see it soaked in the unpredictable sea. He shot up in a frantic manner, mimicking (Y/n)'s actions of knocking his gloved hands to the rest of his body to dry himself off.

"Yuck!" Sonic called out, examining the sand that now slipped like slime down his gloves, becoming a disorderly shade of brown rather than the enticing gold of before.

He turned to see the sand drenched around him, but he was still able to see his own socked, and now soaked, feet underneath the water as clear as a pane of glass. Sonic pouted at the mounds of sand he had spent what felt like forever constructing beforehand, the army of imaginary castles becoming a nothing but a lump of drenched mud.

He crossed his arms in frustration, storming up to the point where the foams of the end of the ripple met the untouched sand, the dry shingle glued to his socks.

"Me and the sea aren't friends anymore."

(Y/n) smiled, scooping up the towels and their other belongings before the ocean could target them as its next victims. She clambered the hill shaped sands to reach Sonic, taking him in her arms again for comfort.

Sonic smiled, his head burying into (Y/n)'s side. He grinned at the blue that matched the shade of his own fur painted in every crack of the sky and ripple of the ocean, letting the annoyance of the collapsed castles leave him be to take in the final few minutes of irresistible seashore tranquillity.

💙