Chapter 6

Pencils... Check.

Notebooks... Check.

Pain killers... Check.

Alright, let's this over with.

I sighed before swinging my messenger bag over my shoulder and heading back downstairs where I found my mother passed out on the couch accompanied by Ivan. What the hell was she tired from? She works one day a week. She looked so peaceful sleeping... This called for a subtle approach..

"Mom! I'm going out now!" I hollered. The middle aged woman nearly had a spasm on the couch as Ivan ran away. I know it sounded mean, but it's the only way. Once she falls asleep on that couch she never gets off.

"You are an asshole sometimes, you know that?" she gritted between her teeth as she violently threw the blanket off of her and got up. She quickly made her way towards the living room where she found my grandfather lounging on one of the recliner chairs with his mouth wide open making some inhuman snoring noises.

"Dad!"  Hypocrite, much?

"Eh!" The old man grunted, quickly opening his bright grey eyes. "W-Why you wake-a-me up so early?"

"It's your granddaughter." she replied. Funny, I'm his granddaughter when she's upset.

"Andrea?" he asked, as if he had any more grandchildren.

"Yeah, she needs to borrow the car tonight."

"No."

"No?"

"She's, uh, too young to drive the car."

"Dad, she's sixteen. She drives everyday to and from school."

I loved my grandfather... But he kind of lingered.

"..Sixteen?" he raised his white eyebrows as if he'd just seen a ghost. About three seconds later I was confused by his reaction... laughter. Well, more like that demonic cackle Mitt Romney dropped at the 2012 debates. "No."

"Dad, just give her the keys!"

"Eh, they're on the desk." he shooed his hand as if he wanted us to leave. 

"Thanks, grandpa." I said before walking off to the front door when my mother stopped me.. again.

"Listen," she put her hands on my shoulders. "You don't go out, so I don't really know what to say to you. Be home by eleven. No drugs, no alcohol, always use protection, and all that other mom shit. I love you. Have fun." She finally bent down to kiss my head then nudged me out the door.

"I love you too, mom." I replied before starting my car and heading on the road. Everyone loves my grandfather... until they get to spend a few days with him. He comes off as a harmless little man  that talks with his hands, but sometimes he can be a little much. He wasn't always like this, though. It seemed since my grandmother passed away he's just been getting lonelier and lonelier by the day. I'm pretty sure it would be inappropriate to set an eighty-eight year old up on eHarmony, so it looks like he's just going to make the most of his days.

Although his mind may not be fully there, he's in incredible shape. Whenever my mom brings him to the doctors and they ask her to list his medications their minds always seem to be blown when she tells them he's doesn't have any. You see with my grandmother it was the opposite. Although she could barely walk and had about a thousand tubes attached to her she was always alert and full of one liners. Some people say I took after her.

 Often times my mother would ask me if I missed visiting her at the nursing home since we used  to go about every day for three years. Sometimes I felt like an ass because I said no. But you know what? I didn't miss going to the nursing home. I missed her.

Shit.. I'm tearing up now. I quickly wiped my left eye on my sleeve before parking outside Clapton's building.

Aaaaand of the course the elevator was still out of order according to the yellow tape. Yay.